Shady Side loses see-saw battle with Jeannette
TribLIVE Sports Videos
In a non-conference battle between two of the top teams in WPIAL Class AA, host Shady Side Academy fell to Jeannette by a 31-26 score Saturday.
The teams traded touchdowns in the first half and the Indians held a 16-15 halftime lead.
Matt Granato fired a pair of touchdown passes, one to Tyrel Hill for 25 yards and another to Chuck Calabrese for nine yards.
Mike Pohl booted a 28-yard field goal.
In the second half, the teams continued to take turns scoring with Pohl nailing a 36-yard field goal in the third quarter to give the Indians a 19-18 lead.
Jeannette answered with a touchdown to take a 25-19 lead into the fourth quarter.
Granato scored on a 15-yard run to put SSA in the lead again, but the final touchdown of the day, a game-winner, was scored by Jeannette.
The Indians will take to the road next and return to Allegheny Conference action against Summit Academy.
Summit fell to Valley, 22-16, last week and sports a 2-5 record overall and is 1-5 in conference play.
“They're a team that can't be taken lightly,” SSA coach Dave Havern said. “They always have athletes and they play hard.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Central Catholic wildcat Petrishen wild card in game vs. Pine-Richland
- Gorman: Central Catholic faces ‘phenomenon’
- Now healthy, Central Valley quarterback George ‘hungry’ for win
- Unbeaten Clairton not taking Avonworth lightly
- Guido: DeWitt led Freeport to WPIAL title game 25 years ago
- HS highlight reel: Southmoreland wrestler ineligible
- Birdie explains why he was wrong
- High school notebook: WPIAL splits decision on Lincoln Park transfers
- Ligonier Valley vows to make return to playoffs in 2015
- Holl resigns as Seneca Valley football coach
- Dominant running game helps West Allegheny to lopsided victory over Thomas Jefferson