Trib HS Insider Q&A: Ford City's Justin Retzer
TribLIVE Sports Videos
In its search for more playmakers, Ford City found an effective receiving threat in senior Justin Retzer.
After three weeks, Retzer had six catches for just 39 yards. But he became a major contributor in Week 4, when he had a 68-yard touchdown reception and also threw a 20-yard touchdown pass on a trick play.
The 5-foot-10, 180-pound senior, a former running back who switched positions as a senior, finished with a career-high nine receptions for 100 yards last week during the Sabers' 17-10 loss to Burrell.
Q: Was that the game plan going in, to throw all those short passes and screens to you?
A: We were trying to run the ball up the middle and to get the ball to (Devan Willyard), but they were shutting us down. So, then we found out that the stay call was working real well.
Q: How do you feel about plays where you're basically getting the ball at the line of scrimmage?
A: I guess I have a little speed and can move pretty well, but it's not my strength because I'm not a good cutter. If you get me the ball and create a seam, I'll find it and get through it.
Q: You have a good arm — you've shown that as a starter in baseball. Why not play quarterback?
A: Too much to remember. Way too much.
Q: So you've never been tempted to try it?
A: In junior high, I was the backup quarterback, but I didn't really like it. I wasn't up to it because I was nervous, and I didn't want to screw up since I'd never done it before.
Q: You buy flavored mouth guards, correct? What's the best flavor, and how many flavors have you had?
A: Fruit punch, definitely. I've had two flavors so far. I had mint before, but after a while, it didn't taste too good. Fruit punch lasts forever.
Q: On the topic of tastes: What do you get at Sheetz? They're located everywhere in Armstrong County.
A: Before every practice, every day, I get two hot dogs with ketchup and mustard.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates
- Flooding forces evacuation of Ligonier Township residents
- Penguins need trade-deadline acquisitions to bring toughness
- ‘Time for bold change,’ Wolf says in outlining $30B state budget
- Artist born without arms, legs gives Hampton students peek into her world
- Rossi: Pirates’ post-Martin plan comes with a catch or 2
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Blue Jays 7
- Man found fatally shot in Washington
- Unity planners OK proposal for Route 30 retail development
- Safety Vinopal, other former Panthers perform for NFL scouts at Pitt’s Pro Day
- Surgeon to examine Pirates’ Cumpton after pitcher experienced elbow discomfort