Prospect watch: Aliquippa's Dravon Henry
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot, 185 pounds, RB-DB, Aliquippa
When Aliquippa coach Mike Zmijanac called Dravon Henry into his office and informed the Quips' star that Ohio State had offered a scholarship, Henry was in denial.
“I didn't believe it at first,” Henry said. “Then I went on the Internet and saw a story that they were recruiting me, and saw it was for real.”
Henry was excited, not because it was his first offer — he counts Pitt, West Virginia, Kent State, Maryland, Rutgers and Toledo are among his suitors — but rather that he wasn't expecting the Buckeyes to pull the trigger so soon in his junior year.
“More like it came out of nowhere,” Henry said. “I was kind of shocked.”
Don't be surprised that Henry plans to play defense, despite rushing for 1,072 yards and 17 touchdowns this season and 3,357 yards and 48 touchdowns in three seasons as a starter.
Henry sees himself as a safety, where he had nine interceptions last season and two this fall. In fact, he was excited when one recruiting site called him “Henry Island,” a reference to the nickname of former Aliquippa and Pitt star Darrelle Revis, an All-Pro cornerback for the New York Jets and Henry's cousin.
Henry hopes to visit Ohio State for its game against arch-rival Michigan later this month, and says the Buckeyes want Aliquippa junior defensive tackle Jaleel Fields to accompany him.
“It feels good,” Henry said. “It actually makes me want to work harder.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school notebook: Plenty to play for in GAC in Week 9
- Gorman: Perry makes the right call on playoffs
- HS highlight reel: Quite a weekend for Penn-Traffod’s Aunkst
- Pine-Richland knocks off No. 1 Central Catholic, takes conference title
- Charleroi’s Shannon Player of the Week
- Previewing some of Western Pa.’s top matchups for Week 8
- High school football roundup: Fulmore hits career milestone for CWNC
- South Allegheny tops winless Carlynton in brawl-marred game
- Hectic week ahead for WPIAL student-athletes
- High school roundup: Trinity upsets West Mifflin in Big 9
- Clairton gets its revenge against Monessen