Monessen's Rawlins Player of the Week
During his football career at Monessen, Chavas Rawlins has developed a knack for making extraordinary play look vert ordinary.
Or, at the least, expected.
Take, for example, Friday's 52-10 romp over Carlynton in a Black Hills Conference finale.
All Rawlins did was score touchdowns three different ways on a 51-yard run, a 74-yard punt return and on a 30-yard interception return.
And, for good measure, he also tossed a 70-yard touchdown pass to Javon Brown.
For his efforts; Rawlins is this week's The Valley Independent Player of the Week.
Rawlins, who has committed to West Virginia University, competed 3 of 4 passes for 92 yards, putting him over 1,000 yards passing for the season. He is also zeroing in on 500 yards rushing and has scored a team-leading 16 touchdowns while passing for 11 more.
“It's sad, but true,” Monessen coach Andy Pacak said about Rawlins' amazing exploits becoming second nature.
“He has set the bar so high that expectations have also risen to where when he does something like that, people just say, ‘That's Chavas,'” Pacak said. “I'm guilty myself. When the chips are down, I've told him to go in the ohone booth and do whatever it is he does and make something happen.”
Pacak said that Rawlins is a special kind of athlete who comes along once in a great while in that he is a good kid who doesn't mind working hard for success.
“As high as the expectations have been for him and this team, nobody has put more pressure on Chavas than himself,” Pacak said. “He is never satisfied. He is always striving for perfection. And when he does things like he did Friday night, it ends up being no big deal.”
Players garnering honorable mention include:
•BV Area's Anthony Levis, who rushed for 163 yards giving him over 1,000 for the season and scored 2 touchdowns in a 35-0 win over Albert Gallatin.
• BV Area's Cody Menges, who intercepted three passes and returned one 88 yards for a score.
• Charleroi's Matt Carr, who completed just 4 passes, but made them count for 176 yards and 2 TDs in a 35-7 win over Brownsville.
• Charleroi's Brandon Bowman, who rushed for a career-high 3 TDs.
• Frazier's Charlie Manack, who completed 13 of 19 passes for 199 yards and 3 TDs in a 43-0 win over Mapletown.
• Frazier's Jaime Fell, who caught 6 passes for 106 yards and 2 TDs.
• Yough's Tyler Donahue, who passed for 192 yards and 2 TDs and also ran for 2 TDs in a 35-14 win over Southmoreland.
• Yough's Ben D'Amico, who rushed for 104 yards on 12 carries.
• Elizabeth Forward's JaQuan Davidson, who rushed or 131 yards and a TD in a 22-8 win over Greensburg Salem.
• Ringgold's Demetrius Louis, who rushed for 124 yards and 2 TDs in a 31-30 overtime loss to Trinity.
Jeff Oliver is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2666 or firstname.lastname@example.org.