University Prep claims title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
University Prep defeated Clearfield, 36-22, to win the PIAA Districts 5-6-8-9 Class AAA championship.
The Wildcats got off to a quick start, scoring 14 points in the first quarter and 22 total in the first half, while holding Clearfield to nine points in the first half.
Senior quarterback Akil Young led the Wildcats' offense, completing 23 of his 36 attempts for 353 yards, five touchdowns and two interceptions.
Three University Prep players had five or more catches, with running back Clay Moorefield leading the way. The junior tailback led all Wildcats receivers with eight receptions for 98 yards and one touchdown.
Clearfield got strong efforts from junior quarterback Christian Lezzer, and senior wideout Trey Jordan. Lezzer threw for 235 yards and three touchdowns, and Jordan led all wideouts with 180 yards receiving and two touchdowns on six catches. Turnovers proved to be the difference for Clearfield, as the Falcons committed six, including three Lezzer interceptions.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- South Fayette, Karns City set for rematch in PIAA quarterfinals
- PIAA quarterfinalists Central Valley, Conneaut sharing success after mergers
- Penn Hills relishes conference title, reflects on season
- Thomas Jefferson gridders post 3rd straight 11-1 record
- Brentwood’s Conroy shares top conference award on defense
- Scoring record within reach for Clairton
- Central Valley beats rival West Allegheny to win WPIAL Class AAA championship
- Liotta, Petrishen represent AK-Valley at WPIAL football finals
- Pine-Richland’s ‘Neil’ the ram has happy home
- WPIAL’s Top 10 football champions of all time
- End of an era for Ford City football and its coach; Bartolovic steps aside