University Prep claims title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
University Prep defeated Clearfield, 36-22, to win the PIAA Districts 5-6-8-9 Class AAA championship.
The Wildcats got off to a quick start, scoring 14 points in the first quarter and 22 total in the first half, while holding Clearfield to nine points in the first half.
Senior quarterback Akil Young led the Wildcats' offense, completing 23 of his 36 attempts for 353 yards, five touchdowns and two interceptions.
Three University Prep players had five or more catches, with running back Clay Moorefield leading the way. The junior tailback led all Wildcats receivers with eight receptions for 98 yards and one touchdown.
Clearfield got strong efforts from junior quarterback Christian Lezzer, and senior wideout Trey Jordan. Lezzer threw for 235 yards and three touchdowns, and Jordan led all wideouts with 180 yards receiving and two touchdowns on six catches. Turnovers proved to be the difference for Clearfield, as the Falcons committed six, including three Lezzer interceptions.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- California victim of Clairton’s ‘statement’
- HS highlight reel: Red, White & Blue Invite set for Saturday
- Frazier’s Ross is Player of the Week
- High school roundup: Seton-La Salle captures Century Conference win
- Trueman sparks North Allegheny’s 14-0 victory over Seneca Valley
- Murray runs wild in Steel Valley victory over Carlynton
- Mars RB Schultheis could be out for season
- Tipton accounts for 4 TDs in Apollo-Ridge’s 41-21 victory over West Shamokin
- Jackson brothers lead way as Highlands rolls in Class AA debut over Ford City
- Wilkinsburg holds off Leechburg
- Thomas Jefferson runs past Ringgold