University Prep claims title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
University Prep defeated Clearfield, 36-22, to win the PIAA Districts 5-6-8-9 Class AAA championship.
The Wildcats got off to a quick start, scoring 14 points in the first quarter and 22 total in the first half, while holding Clearfield to nine points in the first half.
Senior quarterback Akil Young led the Wildcats' offense, completing 23 of his 36 attempts for 353 yards, five touchdowns and two interceptions.
Three University Prep players had five or more catches, with running back Clay Moorefield leading the way. The junior tailback led all Wildcats receivers with eight receptions for 98 yards and one touchdown.
Clearfield got strong efforts from junior quarterback Christian Lezzer, and senior wideout Trey Jordan. Lezzer threw for 235 yards and three touchdowns, and Jordan led all wideouts with 180 yards receiving and two touchdowns on six catches. Turnovers proved to be the difference for Clearfield, as the Falcons committed six, including three Lezzer interceptions.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Through the years: Highlands routed Franklin Regional to clinch conference title
- VND High school football notebook: Local flavor enhances Penn Hills, other playoff teams
- Schoolboy pick of week: BV Area
- City rivals Allderdice, Brashear seeking elusive title
- Gorman: Billy Holt’s big moment for Albert Gallatin
- H.S. Picks hunting for perfect costume
- Statewide HSFB notebook: Pope John Paul II football player continues comeback
- Unfamiliar schemes a challenge for Mars, Montour coaches
- WPIAL playoffs have been tough on teams from Allegheny, Tri-County South
- The Leader: Week 10 offers lots of treats
- Previewing some of Western Pa.’s top WPIAL first-round matchups