PIHL says National Anthem still in works
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It might not happen before dawn's early light, but the National Anthem soon will become part of every PIHL game.
Commissioner Ed Sam said Thursday that some of the area's ice rinks are not equipped to play the Star-Spangled Banner during pregame ceremonies, but the PIHL was working with those arenas to make it possible.
“We're dealing with rinks that might not be used to stuff like this,” Sam said. “We'll be having it at every game.”
The anthem was not played before Thursday's Quaker Valley/Mars game at Airport Ice Arena in Moon.
“It could be that they didn't have the facilities to do it,” Sam said, “but it's coming. It's just taking us time to get everything together.”
The PIHL created a stir this week when Sam encouraged teams to eliminate the anthem for extra ice time, a finite commodity for the scholastic ice hockey league. The move was intended to allow games to end within their designated time slots.
However, the league reversed course Tuesday with a plan to standardize the playing of the anthem before every game.
“We're developing the mechanics to get it all taken care of,” Sam said.
Chris Harlan is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Central Catholic wins 5th WPIAL football title
- Clairton captures 12th WPIAL football championship
- WPIAL Class AAAA notes: P-T unable to snap playoff skid vs. Central Catholic
- Clairton among greatest WPIAL dynasties; Aliquippa, South Fayette close
- WPIAL Class A notes: Return sparks Clairton for 2nd straight week
- Aliquippa wins 16th WPIAL title, ends South Fayette’s 44-game winning streak
- WPIAL Class AAAA final preview: Penn-Trafford looking to reverse trend of playoff losses to Central Catholic
- WPIAL Class AAA final preview: Big-play passing attack paying off for defending WPIAL champion Central Valley
- WPIAL Class AA final preview: Rivals South Fayette, Aliquippa to play for title for record 3rd straight season
- Karns City tops Bedford in state football playoffs
- WPIAL history full of football dynasties