WPIAL Class AAAA final notes: Walker wins fifth title, one shy of Walker Sr.
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Friday's WPIAL title for North Allegheny was the fifth overall for Tigers coach Art Walker – three at North Allegheny and two at Central Catholic.
That comes within one of the total crowns won by his father, also named Art Walker.
The dad won five at Mt. Lebanon and one with Shady Side Academy.
Even with Friday's loss, Woodland Hills coach George Novak has 268 victories, one short of fifth place on the all-time WPIAL list.
Fifth place is occupied by former Beaver coach Pat Tarquinio. Novak is also two wins away from equaling Chuck Wagner's 270. Wagner, who retired after the 2011 season, coached his final 19 seasons at Springdale.
Novak is expected back next season. Last April, he signed a three-year contract as head football coach and athletic director at Woodland Hills.
Nearly putting it away
In the game's strangest sequence, the Tigers looked ready to put the game away after Chas Smith's interception late in the third period.
North Allegheny drove to the Wolverines 14, and lined up for a field goal after losing 2 yards in three plays.
Two procedure penalties moved the line of scrimmage back to the 26. Scrapping the field goal attempt, Mack Leftwich was sacked for a 15-yard loss. That created the unusual statistic of a 15-play drive netting just 30 yards.<
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Clairton captures 12th WPIAL football championship
- WPIAL Class A notes: Return sparks Clairton for 2nd straight week
- WPIAL Class AAAA final preview: Penn-Trafford looking to reverse trend of playoff losses to Central Catholic
- WPIAL Class AA final preview: Rivals South Fayette, Aliquippa to play for title for record 3rd straight season
- Clairton among greatest WPIAL dynasties; Aliquippa, South Fayette close
- Karns City tops Bedford in state football playoffs
- Central Catholic wins 5th WPIAL football title
- WPIAL Class A final preview: Jeannette proved it was up to challenge of facing Clairton during Eastern Conference matchup
- WPIAL Class AAA final preview: Big-play passing attack paying off for defending WPIAL champion Central Valley
- HS highlight reel: Pair of title games to be on tape delay Saturday
- Schleicher connects for 1,210 regular-season passing yards for Baldwin