WPIAL Class AA final notes: Aliquippa brings home another title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Aliquippa's is now 15-8 in WPIAL championship games, including a 13-12 victory over Washington in the 1952 title game. Aliquippa has won 70 WPIAL playoff games.
Most everyone knows that both schools in the Class AA finals are among the winningest in WPIAL history. Aliquippa has won 646 times, fourth best in the WPIAL annals; Washington checks in at 634 victories, sixth all time in the WPIAL.
Putting the brakes on
The Aliquippa defense held WPIAL rushing yardage leader Shai McKenzie to just 33 yards. McKenzie finished the year with 2,689 yards, just short of Rushel Shell's single-season mark of 2,740. McKenzie, a junior, tallied 42 touchdowns this season.
If there's one fact that illustrates Aliquippa's defensive domination — Washington didn't run a play from scrimmage in Quips territory. The closest the Little Prexies got to Aliquippa territory, other than the fumble recovery return, was their 46-yard line on their first possession of the game. Washington never had the ball for more than six offensive plays in a series, doing it twice.
Holding them down
Washington's defense held Aliquippa under its average of 52 points per game. Aliquippa has scored 658 points this season, fourth best in WPIAL history with the possibility of three games remaining.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WPIAL Class AAAA notebook: Pine-Richland has titles in 3 classifications
- WPIAL Class AAA notebook: Central Valley to face another merger in PIAA playoffs
- WPIAL’s Top 10 football champions of all time
- High school football notebook: Official’s decision impacts WPIAL Class AAAA title game
- WPIAL Class A notebook: Clairton climbs all-time title list
- WPIAL Class AA notebook: South Fayette’s Brumbaugh closes in on state passing record
- From venues to playoff format, much has changed in 100 years of WPIAL championships
- What offseason? Belle Vernon Area’s Humbert back to work
- Liotta, Petrishen represent AK-Valley at WPIAL football finals
- HS highlight reel: WPIAL again rules Lincoln Park guard ineligible until Jan. 21
- HS highlight reel: Shaler hockey team thrives in Class AAA