WPIAL Class A final notes: Clairton reaches double digits in titles
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Clairton has 10 WPIAL football titles, becoming the third school to hit double digits in gold trophies. Aliquippa has 15 championships, and New Castle checks in with 11. In three of the 10 Bears' title runs, Clairton was declared the WPIAL champion without engaging in a playoff. The school has lost eight WPIAL title games to go with the seven on-field victories.
On the move
After an uncharacteristic minus-9 rushing yards in the first half, Clairton's Tyler Boyd got into high gear in the second half. Boyd rushed for 145 yards in the third quarter alone, including a 77-yard touchdown run. With 144 net rushing yards in the win, Boyd now has 5,302 career yards on the ground, vaulting the senior into the ninth spot all-time in WPIAL rushing.
Sto-Rox junior quarterback Lenny Williams is among the WPIAL's top 10 in career passing. His 106 passing yards Friday puts him at No. 10 with 5,632 career yards, passing North Hills' Eric Kasperowicz on the all-time list.
Sto-Rox coach Dan Bradley: “It was a great first half. The third quarter we got beat up a little bit and wore down. I think the kids will be proud of themselves and how far they came.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Late 98-yard pick 6 seals Norwin’s shutout win over Latrobe
- High school roundup: Greensburg Salem shocks Gateway in opener
- California victim of Clairton’s ‘statement’
- Valley edges emotional Burrell team on OT field goal
- Knoch’s 3rd-quarter surge leads to victory over Franklin Regional
- Murray runs wild in Steel Valley victory over Carlynton
- Sophomore RB Coxon leads Plum to lopsided win
- Thomas Jefferson runs past Ringgold
- Penn Hills takes advantage of turnovers, routs Upper St. Clair
- Mt. Pleasant edges McGuffey in high-scoring affair
- High school football notebook: Summer heat possible for season’s first week