USO falls to Selinsgrove in PIAA first round
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The USO football team fell to District 4 champion Selinsgrove, 41-14, in the first round of the PIAA Class AAA playoffs Saturday afternoon at Altoona's Mansion Park Stadium.
The Wildcats (7-4) committed eight turnovers — seven interceptions and one fumble — and couldn't stop the Seals' duo of Mike Walter and Conner Liesenfeld, who combined for six touchdowns.
Selinsgrove (10-3) owned the line of scrimmage, rushing for 320 yards on 64 carries, and the Wildcats struggled to keep possession on offense. In addition to quarterback Akil Young's seven interceptions, USO put the ball on the ground five times (lost one) and committed 11 penalties for 89 yards.
Young completed 20 of 43 pass attempts for 184 yards, including a 28-yard touchdown to Clay Morehead. Marcus Johnson provided USO's other score on a 61-yard punt return early in the second quarter.
Selinsgrove advanced to the PIAA quarterfinals, where it will take on Allentown Central Catholic on Friday night.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- VND high school notebook: Kiski Area’s Heavner keeps things interesting
- Big games all around the area
- High school notebook: WPIAL title games could stay at The Pete, Heinz Field
- Through the years: Brown’s heroics lead Burrell to win
- Surprising starts vault football teams into WPIAL playoff picture
- Through the years: Leechburg edges Freeport in mud
- Previewing some of Western Pennsylvania’s top Week 6 matchups
- PIAA votes to expand classifications in football, other sports
- Gridiron matchup between Freeport, Highlands a family affair
- Unbeaten Ringgold, BVA to collide for conference supremacy.
- Daily News Q&A: South Allegheny’s Jonathan Mayernik