USO falls to Selinsgrove in PIAA first round
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The USO football team fell to District 4 champion Selinsgrove, 41-14, in the first round of the PIAA Class AAA playoffs Saturday afternoon at Altoona's Mansion Park Stadium.
The Wildcats (7-4) committed eight turnovers — seven interceptions and one fumble — and couldn't stop the Seals' duo of Mike Walter and Conner Liesenfeld, who combined for six touchdowns.
Selinsgrove (10-3) owned the line of scrimmage, rushing for 320 yards on 64 carries, and the Wildcats struggled to keep possession on offense. In addition to quarterback Akil Young's seven interceptions, USO put the ball on the ground five times (lost one) and committed 11 penalties for 89 yards.
Young completed 20 of 43 pass attempts for 184 yards, including a 28-yard touchdown to Clay Morehead. Marcus Johnson provided USO's other score on a 61-yard punt return early in the second quarter.
Selinsgrove advanced to the PIAA quarterfinals, where it will take on Allentown Central Catholic on Friday night.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Belle Vernon Area trounces Trinity in Humbert’s debut
- Previewing Week 1 high school football matchups
- Through the years: Heard’s TD capped Valley rally
- Leader Times Q&A: Freeport’s Logan Thimons
- McKeesport’s Hudson sets career high in rout of Connellsville
- QB leads Kittanning to season-opening victory over Deer Lakes
- Storylines galore dominate new football season
- High school roundup: Greensburg Salem shocks Gateway in opener
- Quaker Valley football team looks to overcome injuries
- Three of a kind: Football coaches who took different routes
- Elizabeth Forward look to replace a ton of offense