USO falls to Selinsgrove in PIAA first round
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The USO football team fell to District 4 champion Selinsgrove, 41-14, in the first round of the PIAA Class AAA playoffs Saturday afternoon at Altoona's Mansion Park Stadium.
The Wildcats (7-4) committed eight turnovers — seven interceptions and one fumble — and couldn't stop the Seals' duo of Mike Walter and Conner Liesenfeld, who combined for six touchdowns.
Selinsgrove (10-3) owned the line of scrimmage, rushing for 320 yards on 64 carries, and the Wildcats struggled to keep possession on offense. In addition to quarterback Akil Young's seven interceptions, USO put the ball on the ground five times (lost one) and committed 11 penalties for 89 yards.
Young completed 20 of 43 pass attempts for 184 yards, including a 28-yard touchdown to Clay Morehead. Marcus Johnson provided USO's other score on a 61-yard punt return early in the second quarter.
Selinsgrove advanced to the PIAA quarterfinals, where it will take on Allentown Central Catholic on Friday night.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school football notebook: Official’s decision impacts WPIAL Class AAAA title game
- WPIAL Class AAAA notebook: Pine-Richland has titles in 3 classifications
- WPIAL Class AAA notebook: Central Valley to face another merger in PIAA playoffs
- WPIAL’s Top 10 football champions of all time
- Clairton wins 11th WPIAL football championship
- WPIAL Class AA notebook: South Fayette’s Brumbaugh closes in on state passing record
- End of an era for Ford City football and its coach; Bartolovic steps aside
- Pine-Richland tops defending champ Central Catholic to capture WPIAL title
- South Fayette again defeats Aliquippa to defend WPIAL Class AA title
- Explosive offense carries Pine-Richland into finals
- Monessen places four on Eastern’s Second Team