USO falls to Selinsgrove in PIAA first round
By Staff Report
Published: Saturday, Nov. 24, 2012, 8:52 p.m.
The USO football team fell to District 4 champion Selinsgrove, 41-14, in the first round of the PIAA Class AAA playoffs Saturday afternoon at Altoona's Mansion Park Stadium.
The Wildcats (7-4) committed eight turnovers — seven interceptions and one fumble — and couldn't stop the Seals' duo of Mike Walter and Conner Liesenfeld, who combined for six touchdowns.
Selinsgrove (10-3) owned the line of scrimmage, rushing for 320 yards on 64 carries, and the Wildcats struggled to keep possession on offense. In addition to quarterback Akil Young's seven interceptions, USO put the ball on the ground five times (lost one) and committed 11 penalties for 89 yards.
Young completed 20 of 43 pass attempts for 184 yards, including a 28-yard touchdown to Clay Morehead. Marcus Johnson provided USO's other score on a 61-yard punt return early in the second quarter.
Selinsgrove advanced to the PIAA quarterfinals, where it will take on Allentown Central Catholic on Friday night.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic sees a little of itself in Old Forge
- Central Catholic delivers crushing defensive performance to qualify for PIAA championship
- High school notebook: WPIAL career passing leader Williams commits to Temple
- Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic dominates Clarion in PIAA semifinals
- Penn-Trafford reflects on strong closing kick
- Allderdice no match for Erie McDowell in PIAA Class AAAA sub-regional
- Clairton’s Nola undecided about returning next season
- Hathaway provides stability for Slippery Rock High School
- Southmoreland junior reflects on break long-standing school rushing record