USO falls to Selinsgrove in PIAA first round
By Staff Report
Published: Saturday, November 24, 2012, 8:52 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, April 2, 2013
The USO football team fell to District 4 champion Selinsgrove, 41-14, in the first round of the PIAA Class AAA playoffs Saturday afternoon at Altoona's Mansion Park Stadium.
The Wildcats (7-4) committed eight turnovers — seven interceptions and one fumble — and couldn't stop the Seals' duo of Mike Walter and Conner Liesenfeld, who combined for six touchdowns.
Selinsgrove (10-3) owned the line of scrimmage, rushing for 320 yards on 64 carries, and the Wildcats struggled to keep possession on offense. In addition to quarterback Akil Young's seven interceptions, USO put the ball on the ground five times (lost one) and committed 11 penalties for 89 yards.
Young completed 20 of 43 pass attempts for 184 yards, including a 28-yard touchdown to Clay Morehead. Marcus Johnson provided USO's other score on a 61-yard punt return early in the second quarter.
Selinsgrove advanced to the PIAA quarterfinals, where it will take on Allentown Central Catholic on Friday night.
- Penguins notebook: Morrow leaves practice with injury
- Turnout light across Western Pa. as voters hit polls
- Steelers notebook: Less talk, more work is Tomlin’s theme
- Pirates notebook: Penguins jerseys in fashion for road trip
- Coach Tomlin, Steelers facing plenty of questions as OTAs start
- Senators notebook: Pens' Crosby has defensive shadows
- Kovacevic: Why did Pens even get Iginla?
- Heritage Valley nursing program to merge with Community College of Beaver County
- Bin Laden photos to remain classified
- Greensburg Community Days set for 19th year
- Unity-based Kennametal, other employers reach out to hire military veterans
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.