USO falls to Selinsgrove in PIAA first round
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The USO football team fell to District 4 champion Selinsgrove, 41-14, in the first round of the PIAA Class AAA playoffs Saturday afternoon at Altoona's Mansion Park Stadium.
The Wildcats (7-4) committed eight turnovers — seven interceptions and one fumble — and couldn't stop the Seals' duo of Mike Walter and Conner Liesenfeld, who combined for six touchdowns.
Selinsgrove (10-3) owned the line of scrimmage, rushing for 320 yards on 64 carries, and the Wildcats struggled to keep possession on offense. In addition to quarterback Akil Young's seven interceptions, USO put the ball on the ground five times (lost one) and committed 11 penalties for 89 yards.
Young completed 20 of 43 pass attempts for 184 yards, including a 28-yard touchdown to Clay Morehead. Marcus Johnson provided USO's other score on a 61-yard punt return early in the second quarter.
Selinsgrove advanced to the PIAA quarterfinals, where it will take on Allentown Central Catholic on Friday night.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- No shortage of offensive weapons for Aliquippa, Karns City in PIAA game
- HS highlight reel: Steel Valley senior Edwards picks RMU
- Central Catholic holds ‘emotional’ ceremony for Marino
- Gorman: Aliquippa’s Jordan stars in any role
- Field conditions could play factor for Clairton in PIAA quarterfinals
- Jeannette football finishes season in 2nd place
- WPIAL Class AAAA final preview: Penn-Trafford looking to reverse trend of playoff losses to Central Catholic
- High school notebook: Thomas Jefferson, Clairton head into enemy territory
- Gorman: Payo makes Clairton go
- Thomas Jefferson uses defense, running game to capture WPIAL title