Area players on Big 9 Team
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Ringgold, Belle Vernon Area and Elizabeth Forward all had seven players named to the Big 9 All-Conference Team.
Ringgold's selections included senior running back Demetrius Louis and senior all-purpose back Joey Wall on the first team offense and senior defensive linemen Jeremy Saternos on the first team defense.
Saternos was named to the second team offense as a tackle while teammate Nygel Vann, also a senior, made it as a guard.
Wall, as a linebacker, junior linebacker Matt Kirby, senior linebacker Justin Rich and senior defensive lineman Austin Young were named honorable mention.
A year ago, Louis, Vann and Rich were all named to the Big 9 Team.
BVA's contingent included repeat first-team performers senior Dorian Johnson at tackle and junior Austin Fields at guard on offense and senior linebacker Cory Urlacher on defense.
On the second team for BVA were senior wide receiver Adam Ferita and Fields, a defensive lineman.
Junior tight end Jake Sweitzer, senior linebacker Seth Manack and senior defensive back Matt McCloskey were tabbed honorable mention.
BVA coach Aaron Krepps was happy for his players who received all-conference honors, saying, ‘They are all very deserving and had good years for our team.”
One disappointment for Krepps is the omission of running back Anthony Levis, who did not make the team despite rushing for 1,136 years.
“He was the second-leading rusher in our conference behind West Mifflin's Jimmy Wheeler,” Krepps said of Levis. “I was disappointed he didn't make it.”
EF, which made the playoffs for the first time in several years, was rewarded with seven players making the all-conference team.
On the first team are senior offensive guard Adam Oatman, senior linebacker Rex Pearce and a pair of juniors, defensive lineman Brandon Janicki and defensive back JaQuan Davidson.
EF's second teamers are Pearce at running back, junior Matt Bernadowski at receiver and defensive back, senior Max Strotman at linebacker and Janicki at punter.
Sophomore center Devin McDonough was named honorable mention.
Conference runner-up West Mifflin led the 78-player team with 14 selections overall while champion Thomas Jefferson had 11 players named.
Jeff Oliver is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2666 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school notebook: WPIAL title games could stay at The Pete, Heinz Field
- PIAA votes to expand classifications in football, other sports
- Surprising starts vault football teams into WPIAL playoff picture
- Daily News Q&A: South Allegheny’s Jonathan Mayernik
- Previewing some of Western Pennsylvania’s top Week 6 matchups
- Unbeaten Ringgold, BVA to collide for conference supremacy.
- Improved teams stun Birdie
- Valley News Dispatch Q&A: Kiski Area’s Jon Bracy
- WPIAL hands out suspensions for Wilkinsburg-Monessen fight
- Greensburg high school roundup: Norwin girls clinch share of Section 1-AAA title
- Leader Times Q&A: Armstrong’s Nick Croyle