Trib HS Insider Q&A: Clairton's Terrish Webb
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Terrish Webb is averaging 22.3 yards per catch and has touchdowns on 11 of his 33 receptions this season, but the 6-foot, 175-pound senior also leads the WPIAL with seven interceptions. The Kent State recruit will be counted on to help Clairton overcome the absence of CB Titus Howard (elbow) in a PIAA Class A semifinal against Port Allegany.
Q: Is Port Allegany QB Matt Bodamer your best test?
A: People are hyping this kid up. I don't know if he's the best we've faced, but he can run and pass. He's not going to get all those passing yards for nothing, so he has to be good. He's breaking records, but I don't think he's played a team with a defense like ours. We're definitely pumped up.
Q: Is there pressure on the secondary with Titus out?
A: That's a big loss. There's no pressure, but it's going to make me step up and go harder with him gone. It's definitely a big loss. Titus is one of the Killer T's, so he's a big part of our defense.
Q: You had a 102-yard interception return against Bishop Canevin. Is that your favorite play?
A: That was the longest play of my career. They tried to pass in the red zone, and I saw an opportunity to take it. It felt good scoring that. Coach Nola said he'd never seen one that long. I was led by Tyler Boyd and Titus the whole way to my touchdown. My adrenaline was pumping so much that I didn't notice until after the two-point conversion how tired I was.
Q: Describe the bus ride to Clairton after winning the W PIAL titl e and breaking the state record for consecutive wins?
A: It was unreal. The whole way into Clairton, people were standing outside and clapping for us as we rode up Miller Avenue to the stadium. It's been good, keeping the streak alive and our fans going. We already broke the record, so the focus is on winning a fourth state title.
Q: Pitt offered a scholarship after your WPIAL final performance, so how did you react to Darrell Hazell leaving Kent State for Purdue?
A: I was just talking to one of the Kent State assistants, and he said Coach Hazell was supposed to come see me next Tuesday, so I guess he didn't know he was leaving. Kent State had a great season, so I was definitely shocked. It definitely does change my thoughts. I was already giving Pitt serious consideration. I'm going to see how it all plays out before I make a decision.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school football notebook: Official’s decision impacts WPIAL Class AAAA title game
- WPIAL Class AAAA notebook: Pine-Richland has titles in 3 classifications
- Central Valley beats rival West Allegheny to win WPIAL Class AAA championship
- Pine-Richland tops defending champ Central Catholic to capture WPIAL title
- WPIAL’s Top 10 football champions of all time
- Clairton wins 11th WPIAL football championship
- WPIAL Class AAA notebook: Central Valley to face another merger in PIAA playoffs
- WPIAL Class AA notebook: South Fayette’s Brumbaugh closes in on state passing record
- South Fayette again defeats Aliquippa to defend WPIAL Class AA title
- WPIAL Class A notebook: Clairton climbs all-time title list
- Gorman: Central Catholic faces ‘phenomenon’