Steel Valley looking for new football coach
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Steel Valley's Man of Steele has stepped down.
Rod Steele, who has coached the Ironmen football program since 2010, submitted a letter of resignation to the Steel Valley school board that was accepted at its meeting last week. School athletic director Shawn McCallister confirmed the resignation Friday afternoon.
Steele guided Steel Valley to a 16-15 record in three seasons and three berths in the WPIAL Class AA playoffs. The Ironmen, however, could not win a postseason game, as they lost to Beaver Falls in 2010 and to eventual WPIAL champion Aliquippa the past two seasons.
Steel Valley (4-6 in 2012) has not won a postseason game since 2007.
Steel Valley has had its share of injury problems the past two seasons, which have crippled its chances in what has become one of the most top-heavy conferences in the WPIAL. Either South Fayette or Seton-La Salle has won at least a share of the Century Conference title every year since 2007, when Steel Valley went undefeated in the regular season before losing to Beaver Falls in the WPIAL Class AA quarterfinals.
This season the Ironmen lost four of their final five games, including their last three against South Allegheny, McGuffey and Aliquippa.
It is unclear who the district is considering to replace Steele.
Keith Barnes is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com or 412-664-9161 Ext. 1977.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- South Fayette extends winning streak in dominating fashion
- Penn-Trafford QB Laffoon sets career TD pass mark in rout of Hempfield
- BVA takes advantage of Ringgold mistakes
- West Mifflin limits chances for Laurel Highlands, wins 28-17
- Mt. Lebanon still unbeaten after 98-yard INT return sparks rally vs. Bethel Park
- Freeport takes chances, cashes in during shutout of Highlands
- Brown’s return makes difference for Apollo-Ridge in victory over Shady Side Academy
- Clairton uses big second half, key turnover to pull away from Jeannette
- Plum overcomes turnovers, penalties to roll past Connellsville
- Shaler edges Fox Chapel in Quad North play
- Valley relies on run game to avenge last year’s loss to West Shamokin