Burrell's Bush headed to St. Francis (Pa.)
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It would appear that St. Francis (Pa.) plans to give Cole Bush the same unique opportunity Burrell afforded him: It's allowing the 6-foot-2, 220-pound senior to play running back.
That's where Bush made his mark in high school, flattening defenders and breaking school records. The chance to do that again in college, and St. Francis' proximity to home, prompted Bush to give the school a verbal commitment.
He will sign with the Red Flash in February.
Bush had interest from several Ivy League schools, including Penn and Brown. Bucknell and California (Pa.) also courted him. But he said he felt St. Francis was the best fit.
“They're a downhill-running team, and they said they recruit kids from winning programs,” Bush said. “They said I could play halfback. The location was a big thing, too. I didn't want to go far away. It's up in the mountains, the country. I grew up in Upper Burrell, which is like the country.”
Bush ran for 1,794 yards and 33 touchdowns — single-season school records — as the Bucs finished 8-2 and shared the Allegheny Conference title.
Bill Beckner Jr. is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-224-2696 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- South Fayette, Karns City set for rematch in PIAA quarterfinals
- Brentwood’s Conroy shares top conference award on defense
- PIAA quarterfinalists Central Valley, Conneaut sharing success after mergers
- Liotta, Petrishen represent AK-Valley at WPIAL football finals
- Thomas Jefferson gridders post 3rd straight 11-1 record
- Central Valley beats rival West Allegheny to win WPIAL Class AAA championship
- Penn Hills relishes conference title, reflects on season
- Clairton wins 11th WPIAL football championship
- WPIAL Class AAAA notebook: Pine-Richland has titles in 3 classifications
- WPIAL Class AAA notebook: Central Valley to face another merger in PIAA playoffs
- WPIAL Class A notebook: Clairton climbs all-time title list