Burrell's Bush headed to St. Francis (Pa.)
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It would appear that St. Francis (Pa.) plans to give Cole Bush the same unique opportunity Burrell afforded him: It's allowing the 6-foot-2, 220-pound senior to play running back.
That's where Bush made his mark in high school, flattening defenders and breaking school records. The chance to do that again in college, and St. Francis' proximity to home, prompted Bush to give the school a verbal commitment.
He will sign with the Red Flash in February.
Bush had interest from several Ivy League schools, including Penn and Brown. Bucknell and California (Pa.) also courted him. But he said he felt St. Francis was the best fit.
“They're a downhill-running team, and they said they recruit kids from winning programs,” Bush said. “They said I could play halfback. The location was a big thing, too. I didn't want to go far away. It's up in the mountains, the country. I grew up in Upper Burrell, which is like the country.”
Bush ran for 1,794 yards and 33 touchdowns — single-season school records — as the Bucs finished 8-2 and shared the Allegheny Conference title.
Bill Beckner Jr. is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-224-2696 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- PIAA votes to expand classifications in football, other sports
- High school roundup: No. 3 Pine-Richland holds off Seneca Valley
- After another slow start, Greensburg Central Catholic defeats Leechburg
- Belle Vernon Area takes advantage of Ringgold mistakes
- Freeport takes chances, cashes in during shutout of Highlands
- Norwin takes control in 2nd half, upends Kiski Area
- Valley relies on run game to avenge last year’s loss to West Shamokin
- Offensive spurt lifts Burrell past Sto-Rox
- South Fayette extends winning streak in dominating fashion
- Clairton uses big second half, key turnover to pull away from Jeannette
- Valley Independent roundup: Bentworth’s Tush scores 6 TDs in win over California