Burrell's Bush headed to St. Francis (Pa.)
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It would appear that St. Francis (Pa.) plans to give Cole Bush the same unique opportunity Burrell afforded him: It's allowing the 6-foot-2, 220-pound senior to play running back.
That's where Bush made his mark in high school, flattening defenders and breaking school records. The chance to do that again in college, and St. Francis' proximity to home, prompted Bush to give the school a verbal commitment.
He will sign with the Red Flash in February.
Bush had interest from several Ivy League schools, including Penn and Brown. Bucknell and California (Pa.) also courted him. But he said he felt St. Francis was the best fit.
“They're a downhill-running team, and they said they recruit kids from winning programs,” Bush said. “They said I could play halfback. The location was a big thing, too. I didn't want to go far away. It's up in the mountains, the country. I grew up in Upper Burrell, which is like the country.”
Bush ran for 1,794 yards and 33 touchdowns — single-season school records — as the Bucs finished 8-2 and shared the Allegheny Conference title.
Bill Beckner Jr. is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-224-2696 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Clairton among greatest WPIAL dynasties; Aliquippa, South Fayette close
- WPIAL Class AAAA final preview: Penn-Trafford looking to reverse trend of playoff losses to Central Catholic
- WPIAL Class AAA final preview: Big-play passing attack paying off for defending WPIAL champion Central Valley
- WPIAL Class A final preview: Jeannette proved it was up to challenge of facing Clairton during Eastern Conference matchup
- Karns City tops Bedford in state football playoffs
- WPIAL history full of football dynasties
- WPIAL Class AA final preview: Rivals South Fayette, Aliquippa to play for title for record 3rd straight season
- Central Catholic senior Jones plays key role in all phases for Vikings
- High school notebook: New classes put football finalists on the move next season
- HS highlight reel: Pair of title games to be on tape delay Saturday
- Jeannette junior Swinton says ‘football is my life’