Burrell's Bush headed to St. Francis (Pa.)
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It would appear that St. Francis (Pa.) plans to give Cole Bush the same unique opportunity Burrell afforded him: It's allowing the 6-foot-2, 220-pound senior to play running back.
That's where Bush made his mark in high school, flattening defenders and breaking school records. The chance to do that again in college, and St. Francis' proximity to home, prompted Bush to give the school a verbal commitment.
He will sign with the Red Flash in February.
Bush had interest from several Ivy League schools, including Penn and Brown. Bucknell and California (Pa.) also courted him. But he said he felt St. Francis was the best fit.
“They're a downhill-running team, and they said they recruit kids from winning programs,” Bush said. “They said I could play halfback. The location was a big thing, too. I didn't want to go far away. It's up in the mountains, the country. I grew up in Upper Burrell, which is like the country.”
Bush ran for 1,794 yards and 33 touchdowns — single-season school records — as the Bucs finished 8-2 and shared the Allegheny Conference title.
Bill Beckner Jr. is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-224-2696 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- HS highlight reel: Red, White & Blue Invite set for Saturday
- Frazier’s Ross is Player of the Week
- High school roundup: Seton-La Salle captures Century Conference win
- Springdale eases past Serra
- Jackson brothers lead way as Highlands rolls in Class AA debut over Ford City
- Trueman sparks North Allegheny’s 14-0 victory over Seneca Valley
- Mars RB Schultheis could be out for season
- Thomas Jefferson runs past Ringgold
- Late 98-yard pick 6 seals Norwin’s shutout win over Latrobe
- Jeannette rips Riverview in Class A debut
- Wilkinsburg holds off Leechburg