Burrell's Bush headed to St. Francis (Pa.)
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It would appear that St. Francis (Pa.) plans to give Cole Bush the same unique opportunity Burrell afforded him: It's allowing the 6-foot-2, 220-pound senior to play running back.
That's where Bush made his mark in high school, flattening defenders and breaking school records. The chance to do that again in college, and St. Francis' proximity to home, prompted Bush to give the school a verbal commitment.
He will sign with the Red Flash in February.
Bush had interest from several Ivy League schools, including Penn and Brown. Bucknell and California (Pa.) also courted him. But he said he felt St. Francis was the best fit.
“They're a downhill-running team, and they said they recruit kids from winning programs,” Bush said. “They said I could play halfback. The location was a big thing, too. I didn't want to go far away. It's up in the mountains, the country. I grew up in Upper Burrell, which is like the country.”
Bush ran for 1,794 yards and 33 touchdowns — single-season school records — as the Bucs finished 8-2 and shared the Allegheny Conference title.
Bill Beckner Jr. is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-224-2696 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Gorman: Quitting not the answer
- Knoch’s stellar ‘D’ sets tone in 6th straight shutout
- Monz resigns as Carlynton football coach
- HS highlight reel: Peters, USC rivalry resumes Thursday
- HS highlight reel: Vulcano named AD at Canon-McMillan
- Meyers Player of the Week
- Previewing some of the top Week 3 high school football matchups
- 1 year after 0-2 start, 5 WPIAL teams are seeing how the other side lives
- Tipton, Brown run for 518 yards to lead Apollo-Ridge past Kittanning
- Pryor watches as No. 6 Jeannette routs Leechburg
- High school roundup: Bethel Park takes down rival Upper St. Clair