Erie Cathedral Prep wins Class AAA state title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
HERSHEY — Quarterback Damion Terry threw for two touchdowns and ran for another, and Erie Cathedral Prep held off a second-half charge to beat Archbishop Wood, 24-14, on Friday night to win the PIAA Class AAA title.
Felix Manus-Schell's interception in the end zone midway through the fourth quarter snuffed out Wood's last-ditch attempt to rebound from a 17-point halftime deficit. Manus-Schell also had a 60-yard touchdown catch for Prep (15-0), which claimed its first state crown in a dozen years.
The defending champion Vikings (12-3) will have to settle for second this year. Andrew Guckin's 5-yard scoring run got Wood within 10 points late in the third quarter before Prep's fourth-quarter defensive stands.
The Ramblers stopped Wood on fourth-and-1 from the 24 earlier in the fourth before Manus-Schell's pick in the end zone.
Terry came up with the big plays in the first half to help Prep build a 24-7 lead.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Springdale sets tone early, routs Riverview
- High school roundup: Springdale football wins 4th in a row
- Valley, Freeport provide special moment for Clarke in regular-season finale
- Late TD lifts Penn Hills past Woodland Hills
- Jeannette rolls past rival Greensburg Central Catholic
- WPIAL football playoff clinchings
- Central Valley gains measure of revenge on No. 1 West Allegheny
- Kittanning routs Ford City in rivalry’s final game
- North Allegheny’s defense shuts down North Hills, 31-7
- Plum rolls past Latrobe, into playoffs
- Guido: Kittanning-Ford City rivalry packed with memories