Erie Cathedral Prep wins Class AAA state title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
HERSHEY — Quarterback Damion Terry threw for two touchdowns and ran for another, and Erie Cathedral Prep held off a second-half charge to beat Archbishop Wood, 24-14, on Friday night to win the PIAA Class AAA title.
Felix Manus-Schell's interception in the end zone midway through the fourth quarter snuffed out Wood's last-ditch attempt to rebound from a 17-point halftime deficit. Manus-Schell also had a 60-yard touchdown catch for Prep (15-0), which claimed its first state crown in a dozen years.
The defending champion Vikings (12-3) will have to settle for second this year. Andrew Guckin's 5-yard scoring run got Wood within 10 points late in the third quarter before Prep's fourth-quarter defensive stands.
The Ramblers stopped Wood on fourth-and-1 from the 24 earlier in the fourth before Manus-Schell's pick in the end zone.
Terry came up with the big plays in the first half to help Prep build a 24-7 lead.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Gorman: For Bethel Park, the worst road trip in WPIAL playoffs
- WPIAL playoffs have been tough on teams from Allegheny, Tri-County South
- Previewing some of Western Pa.’s top WPIAL first-round matchups
- Unfamiliar schemes a challenge for Mars, Montour coaches
- Birdie explains why he was wrong
- Franklin Regional prepares for new look Belle Vernon
- The Leader: Week 10 offers lots of treats
- High school football notebook: Hampton, New Castle bringing rivalry outside
- Leader Times Q&A: West Shamokin’s Zac Horner
- Oliver: Why 7:30 p.m. starting time for playoffs?
- H.S. Picks hunting for perfect costume