Erie Cathedral Prep wins Class AAA state title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
HERSHEY — Quarterback Damion Terry threw for two touchdowns and ran for another, and Erie Cathedral Prep held off a second-half charge to beat Archbishop Wood, 24-14, on Friday night to win the PIAA Class AAA title.
Felix Manus-Schell's interception in the end zone midway through the fourth quarter snuffed out Wood's last-ditch attempt to rebound from a 17-point halftime deficit. Manus-Schell also had a 60-yard touchdown catch for Prep (15-0), which claimed its first state crown in a dozen years.
The defending champion Vikings (12-3) will have to settle for second this year. Andrew Guckin's 5-yard scoring run got Wood within 10 points late in the third quarter before Prep's fourth-quarter defensive stands.
The Ramblers stopped Wood on fourth-and-1 from the 24 earlier in the fourth before Manus-Schell's pick in the end zone.
Terry came up with the big plays in the first half to help Prep build a 24-7 lead.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WPIAL football coaches use unique awards to motivate their players
- Previewing some of Western Pennsylvania’s top Week 6 matchups
- Jeannette, Clairton set to square off with conference lead on the line
- Gorman: Morgan has Mustangs making Plum proud
- Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Q&A: Pine-Richland’s Mike Merhaut
- The Leader expecting more surprises this week
- Franklin Regional, Hampton share passion for physical football
- Connellsville football team hopes for best effort against Plum
- Birdie called ‘genius’ after perfect pick
- High school football notebook: State record possible for South Fayette QB
- Ground attack helping to keep Penn-Trafford offense rolling