Erie Cathedral Prep wins Class AAA state title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
HERSHEY — Quarterback Damion Terry threw for two touchdowns and ran for another, and Erie Cathedral Prep held off a second-half charge to beat Archbishop Wood, 24-14, on Friday night to win the PIAA Class AAA title.
Felix Manus-Schell's interception in the end zone midway through the fourth quarter snuffed out Wood's last-ditch attempt to rebound from a 17-point halftime deficit. Manus-Schell also had a 60-yard touchdown catch for Prep (15-0), which claimed its first state crown in a dozen years.
The defending champion Vikings (12-3) will have to settle for second this year. Andrew Guckin's 5-yard scoring run got Wood within 10 points late in the third quarter before Prep's fourth-quarter defensive stands.
The Ramblers stopped Wood on fourth-and-1 from the 24 earlier in the fourth before Manus-Schell's pick in the end zone.
Terry came up with the big plays in the first half to help Prep build a 24-7 lead.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school football notebook: Official’s decision impacts WPIAL Class AAAA title game
- WPIAL Class AAAA notebook: Pine-Richland has titles in 3 classifications
- Pine-Richland tops defending champ Central Catholic to capture WPIAL title
- WPIAL’s Top 10 football champions of all time
- Central Valley beats rival West Allegheny to win WPIAL Class AAA championship
- WPIAL Class AAA notebook: Central Valley to face another merger in PIAA playoffs
- Clairton wins 11th WPIAL football championship
- WPIAL Class AA notebook: South Fayette’s Brumbaugh closes in on state passing record
- WPIAL Class A notebook: Clairton climbs all-time title list
- South Fayette again defeats Aliquippa to defend WPIAL Class AA title
- Karns City uses bruising running game to gain comeback win over Chestnut Ridge