Several Indians earn conference honors
By Marty Stewart
Published: Wednesday, Dec. 19, 2012, 8:50 p.m.
The Shady Side Academy varsity football team had another successful season as the Indians again made the WPIAL Class AA playoffs.
Coach Dave Havern's team also had a lot of success with the recent announcement of the Allegheny Conference all-section team.
Making the first team on offense were center Chris Bush, guard Josh Loper and running backs Dennis Briggs and Jarred Brevard.
Loper and Briggs also made the first team on defense — Loper at defensive end and Briggs at defensive back.
Charles Calabrese made the team at inside linebacker and also made the second team at tight end and punter.
Inside linebacker Chris Bush made the second team at inside linebacker and Matt Granato was the second team quarterback. Mike Pohl was a second team choice as place kicker.
Loper was also honored as Defensive Player of the Year.
The Indians also had several players chosen as Scholar Athletes — Bernie Andrews, Aaron Horne, Bush, Joe Bray, Granato, Loper and Pohl.
Receiving honorable mention on offense were wide receiver Tyrell Hill and lineman Patrick Loughran.
Honorable mention defensive players were outside linebacker Jackson Fitzgerald; Granato, Hill and Louis Berry IV at defensive back; and outside linebacker Mike Ware.
“This year's selections typify what we've built here at SSA,” Havern said.
“We achieve success every year both on the field and in the classroom and these kids have shown that they are something special and they should be proud of what they've accomplished.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Central Catholic delivers crushing defensive performance to qualify for PIAA championship
- Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic dominates Clarion in PIAA semifinals
- Running game carries South Fayette past Hickory and into PIAA title game
- PIAA Class AAAA quarterfinals preview: Central Catholic vs. Erie McDowell
- Hathaway provides stability for Slippery Rock High School
- Homer-Center bows out of state football playoffs
- Young Plum tackle shares conference honors with big names
- Friday’s PIAA semifinal football games postponed