Several Indians earn conference honors
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy varsity football team had another successful season as the Indians again made the WPIAL Class AA playoffs.
Coach Dave Havern's team also had a lot of success with the recent announcement of the Allegheny Conference all-section team.
Making the first team on offense were center Chris Bush, guard Josh Loper and running backs Dennis Briggs and Jarred Brevard.
Loper and Briggs also made the first team on defense — Loper at defensive end and Briggs at defensive back.
Charles Calabrese made the team at inside linebacker and also made the second team at tight end and punter.
Inside linebacker Chris Bush made the second team at inside linebacker and Matt Granato was the second team quarterback. Mike Pohl was a second team choice as place kicker.
Loper was also honored as Defensive Player of the Year.
The Indians also had several players chosen as Scholar Athletes — Bernie Andrews, Aaron Horne, Bush, Joe Bray, Granato, Loper and Pohl.
Receiving honorable mention on offense were wide receiver Tyrell Hill and lineman Patrick Loughran.
Honorable mention defensive players were outside linebacker Jackson Fitzgerald; Granato, Hill and Louis Berry IV at defensive back; and outside linebacker Mike Ware.
“This year's selections typify what we've built here at SSA,” Havern said.
“We achieve success every year both on the field and in the classroom and these kids have shown that they are something special and they should be proud of what they've accomplished.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Central Catholic wildcat Petrishen wild card in game vs. Pine-Richland
- Unbeaten Clairton not taking Avonworth lightly
- Karns City, Chestnut Ridge set for 3rd straight PIAA football clash
- Gorman: Central Catholic faces ‘phenomenon’
- Now healthy, Central Valley quarterback George ‘hungry’ for win
- HS highlight reel: Shaler hockey team thrives in Class AAA
- Avonworth’s signature ‘drive’ propels it to title date with Clairton
- Frazier gets nine on T-C South squad
- Aliquippa quarterback Fields ready when number is called
- Aliquippa tops Mt. Pleasant in Class AA for 8th consecutive WPIAL semifinal berth
- Gorman: Palko perfect for West Allegheny