Clairton's Boyd named state's player of the year
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Just days after winning a fourth-straight PIAA Class A football championship, the honors continue to pour in for members of the Clairton football team.
Five Bears were named to the Pennsylvania Sportswriters All-State team, including senior running back Tyler Boyd, who was named the Class A Player of the Year for the second straight season.
“Tyler is the greatest player I have ever seen,” Clairton coach Tom Nola said. “All the adjectives said about him are true. He runs like Marcus Allen. I fully expect him to be in the NFL. He just has that special kind of talent. There is nothing he can't do on the football field.”
Senior teammates Terrish Webb (wide receiver), Devonte Harvey (offensive line), Robert Boatright (defensive lineman) and Titus Howard (defensive back) also received honors.
Boyd, who was recognized as an athlete, finished his career as the WPIAL's all-time leader with 117 career touchdowns, seven more than the previous record holder, Rushel Shell of Hopewell. He ended up fifth on the all-time WPIAL rushing yardage list with 5,755 yards and has received more than 25 scholarship offers.
This year, he rushed for 2,584 yards, had 51 touchdowns and helped Clairton continue a state-record 63-game winning streak.
Friday, he helped Clairton to a 20-0 victory over Dunmore in the PIAA finals at Hersheypark Stadium with 117 yards.
All-state teams for Classes A and AA were released Wednesday, with the AAA and AAAA squads to be unveiled Thursday.
Monessen's Chavas Rawlins (quarterback), Sto-Rox's Lenny Williams (quarterback) and Chartiers-Houston's Garrett Vulcano (linebacker) also were honored in Class A.
In District 6, Danny Ferens from Penns Manor and Alex Atkins from Northern Cambria also were recognized in Class A. Ferens was a repeat selection.
Dunmore's Jack Henzes was named Class A coach of the year.
The WPIAL also was well-represented in Class AA: Aliquippa's Jaleel Fields (offensive line), Terry Swanson (athlete) and Dravon Henry (defensive back); South Fayette's Brett Brumbaugh (quarterback) and Zach Challingsworth (wide receiver); Washington's Shai McKenzie (running back) and Jaylin Kelly (linebacker); Seton-La Salle's Scott Orndoff (tight end); Burrell's Cole Bush (linebacker); and Beaver Falls' Elijah Cottrill (defensive back). Challingsworth is a repeat selection.
Defensive lineman Stuart Urch from District 6 Ligonier Valley also was honored.
Wyomissing linebacker Alex Anzalone, a Notre Dame recruit, was named the Class AA Player of the Year, and Wyomissing's Bob Wofrum was tabbed Coach of the Year.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- With Malkin out, Penguins fall to Flyers, 4-1
- Steelers re-sign DE Geathers
- Shouf’s Cafe can fill your belly with Mediterranean cuisine and comfort food
- Authorities release name of Greensburg man who jumped off overpass onto Route 30
- Fear of being grounded keeps some pilots from revealing mental issues
- Hospital union rallies continue in East Franklin, Kittanning
- Teacher from Mt. Lebanon kept home, made repairs around house
- Wines claimed to be toxic with arsenic won’t be pulled by state Liquor Control Board
- ‘Birth tourism’ business booming in China
- Time catches up with longstanding Port Vue group
- Jeannette teen ordered to stand trial in classmate’s slaying