Gateway QB Woodson verbally commits to Akron
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Gateway quarterback Thomas Woodson, who had his scholarship offer pulled from Arizona, has given a verbal commitment to Akron.
Woodson chose the Zips, who were seeking a quarterback after parting ways with McKeesport's Eddie Stockett.
“He liked the opportunity,” Gateway coach Terry Smith said. “Looking at their depth chart, he feels he can go in and compete. This is (coach Terry Bowden and his staff's) second year, so he's one of their guys. Plus, Akron's not too far from home and has great facilities.”
The 6-foot-2, 225-pound Woodson, a three-year starter for the Gators, set a school single-season record with 2,395 passing yards this fall. He completed 118 of 204 attempts, with 23 touchdowns and four interceptions.
Woodson committed to Arizona last summer but the Wildcats withdrew their offer last month after accepting a commitment from another quarterback and a transfer.
“I was kind of worried,” Smith said, “because this late in the game you never know what's going to happen.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Springdale sets tone early, routs Riverview
- Central Valley gains measure of revenge on No. 1 West Allegheny
- Late TD lifts Penn Hills past Woodland Hills
- North Allegheny’s defense shuts down North Hills, 31-7
- High school roundup: Springdale football wins 4th in a row
- Valley, Freeport provide special moment for Clarke in regular-season finale
- Jeannette rolls past rival Greensburg Central Catholic
- Kittanning routs Ford City in rivalry’s final game
- WPIAL football playoff clinchings
- West Shamokin dominates Deer Lakes
- No. 4 Highlands wraps up perfect regular season