Plum School Board opens varsity football head-coaching job
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Plum School District board of directors has opened the Mustangs' varsity football head coaching position for the 2013-14 school year, and applications currently are being accepted.
An announcement seeking applications has been posted on the school district website at pbsd.k12.pa.us, and the deadline to apply is Jan. 31.
Frank Sacco, the Plum varsity head coach the past four seasons, confirmed his knowledge of the board's decision but declined to comment.
During a phone interview on Saturday, Sacco did say he hasn't decided if he will re-apply.
Sacco said he was informed of the board's decision on Dec. 19, the day after the regular December board meeting. However, the exact date the board decided to open the head coaching job could not be officially confirmed as of Monday's early holiday deadline for this week's edition.
Sacco became Plum's head football coach on Dec. 22, 2008, and he was hired after a search for a replacement for Bill Rometo, who retired after the 2008 season and closed the books on a 20-year tenure as the Mustangs' head coach.
Sacco served as an assistant to Rometo for 15 years before ascending to the varsity head coaching post.
A Plum graduate, Sacco played football for the Mustangs and later served as an assistant coach at Norwin.
In four seasons from 2009-2012, Plum went 10-28 overall, and Sacco helped lead Plum to back-to-back playoff appearances in 2009 and 2010.
The Mustangs went 6-4 overall in 2010.
In 2012, injuries to key players, continued youth and the first year in one of the WPIAL's most challenging conferences contributed to a tough 0-9 mark.
The JV team ended the 2012 campaign 5-4, while the freshman team posted a 6-2 mark.
Several starters return on both sides of the ball for the Mustangs in 2013.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Big games all around the area
- PIAA votes to expand classifications in football, other sports
- VND high school notebook: Kiski Area’s Heavner keeps things interesting
- H.S. Picks dishes out his midseason grades
- Previewing some of Western Pennsylvania’s top Week 6 matchups
- High school notebook: WPIAL title games could stay at The Pete, Heinz Field
- Franklin Regional meets Hampton with first place at stake
- Through the years: Brown’s heroics lead Burrell to win
- WPIAL hands out suspensions for Wilkinsburg-Monessen fight
- Surprising starts vault football teams into WPIAL playoff picture
- Daily News Q&A: South Allegheny’s Jonathan Mayernik