Plum opens football coaching position
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Plum School District board of directors has opened the Mustangs' varsity football head coaching position for the 2013-14 school year, and applications are being accepted.
An announcement seeking applications has been posted on the school district website at pbsd.k12.pa.us. The deadline to apply is Jan. 31.
Frank Sacco, the Plum varsity coach the past four seasons, confirmed his knowledge of the board's decision but declined to comment.
Sacco said he hasn't decided if he will re-apply.
Sacco became Plum's coach on Dec. 22, 2008, replacing longtime coach Bill Rometo, who retired after the 2008 season and closed the books on a 20-year tenure. Sacco served as an assistant to Rometo for 15 years before ascending to the varsity head coaching post.
A Plum graduate, Sacco played football for the Mustangs and later served as an assistant coach at Norwin.
In four seasons (2009-12), Plum went 10-28 overall, and Sacco helped lead Plum to back-to-back playoff appearances in 2009 and '10.
The Mustangs went 6-4 overall in 2010.
In 2012, injuries to key players and the first year in one of the WPIAL's most challenging conferences contributed to a 0-9 mark.
The JV team ended the 2012 campaign 5-4, while the freshman team posted a 6-2 mark.
Several starters return on both sides of the ball for the Mustangs in 2013.
Michael Love is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WPIAL football coaches use unique awards to motivate their players
- Previewing some of Western Pennsylvania’s top Week 6 matchups
- Birdie called ‘genius’ after perfect pick
- Gorman: Morgan has Mustangs making Plum proud
- The Leader expecting more surprises this week
- Ringgold-BVA rivalry has added spice
- DC Picks: Connellsville will get back into win column
- Connellsville football team hopes for best effort against Plum
- High school football notebook: State record possible for South Fayette QB
- Franklin Regional, Hampton share passion for physical football
- Jeannette, Clairton set to square off with conference lead on the line