Burrell's Bush bound for St. Francis (Pa.)
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Senior Cole Bush had such an impressive high school football career at Burrell that St. Francis (Pa.) University asked him for his autograph.
Bush, the Buccaneers' bruising touchdown machine, made his commitment to St. Francis official Wednesday, signing a letter of intent to play for the Division I-FCS Red Flash of the Northeast Conference.
Bush (6-foot-2, 220 pounds) last season rushed for school records in yards (1,794) and touchdowns (33) in helping the Bucs win a conference co-championship.
Although he verbally committed to St. Francis before his official visit, Bush felt even stronger about his decision following his official stop in Loretto. He spent the night on campus and talked with several future teammates.
“I felt like I belonged with them,” he said.
“It's really like a family up there. I just know the next four years are going to be a blast.”
Burrell fans surely will want to see Bush play running back, which appears to be a possibility. Bush has been told be might play halfback, although tight end also has been mentioned in conversations with coaches.
“We'll see what happens there,” Bush said. “Tight end would be a change, and I'd have to get bigger, but I think I could do it. I have no objections as to where they want me to play. I will help the team in any way I can.
“As soon as basketball's done, I'm am going to really start getting ready (for college),” Bush said. “I am very excited for it.”
Other local signees Wednesday included Valley senior Chaz Cheatham, who signed with Division II Indiana (Pa.). Cheatham (6-2, 200) was one of the top wide receivers in the A-K Valley last season.
Fox Chapel quarterback Alex Romango signed with Bucknell, Knoch senior quarterback Dakota Bruggeman signed with Division II Alderson-Broaddus (W.Va.), and Freeport senior lineman Shane McKillop (6-6, 295) signed with Division II Clarion.
Bill Beckner Jr. is the Local Sports Editor of the Valley News Dispatch. He can be reached at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- HS highlight reel: Central Catholic’s Joseph commits to PSU
- Monessen’s Rullo tabbed Player of Week
- Area gridders have their favorites when it comes to teammates’ monikers
- Highlands wins thriller over Apollo-Ridge
- Offensive line making strides for Franklin Regional
- Statewide HSFB notebook: Jersey Shore wins on controversial finish
- Pine-Richland finally breaks through vs. North Hills
- Central Catholic capitalizes on turnovers to down Connellsville
- Valley keeps McGrath in check to key win over Deer Lakes
- Plum rolls past Kiski Area
- Washington, Mt. Pleasant to battle for Interstate supremacy