Baldwin, West Shamokin hire football coaches
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Baldwin has a new football coach, but the decision didn't come without some discussion and dissension Wednesday night.
The Baldwin-Whitehall board of directors voted 6-3 to hire the high school's dean of students, Pete Wagner Jr., to replace Jim Wehner, who resigned last month. That vote came after board members denied a recommendation to hire Seton-La Salle coach Greg Perry by a 5-4 vote.
“(Wagner) has worked with the kids. He knows the kids,” board director Ray Rosing said. “When are we going to give somebody a chance?”
Wagner was Baldwin's offensive coordinator this past season and also has been an assistant coach at Seton-La Salle and Montour. He played at Valley Forge Military Academy and Morehead State University.
Perry is 60-20 in eight seasons at Seton-La Salle, where he also was the offensive coordinator for 10 seasons prior. The Rebels have won six conference titles and two WPIAL championships during his tenure.
The West Shamokin football team will have a familiar face in change next season, as defensive coordinator Jon McCullough was promoted to head coach this week, replacing Josh Gilliland, who resigned after last season.
“I had confidence that they'd look at the in-house candidates, especially with the progress we've made,” said McCullough, 33. “We're going to be a team that plays hard for all 48 minutes and doesn't beat itself. I think we'll put a product on the field that everybody can be proud of.”
WPIAL teams still without a football coach include Bishop Canevin, California, Canon-McMillan, Gateway, Freedom, Hollidaysburg, North Hills, Northgate, Pine-Richland, Plum, Serra Catholic and Southmoreland.
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Frazier’s Ross is Player of the Week
- GCC, Monessen matchup to feature contrasting styles
- HS highlight reel: Red, White & Blue Invite set for Saturday
- Thomas Jefferson runs past Ringgold
- Mars RB Schultheis could be out for season
- High school roundup: Seton-La Salle captures Century Conference win
- Belle Vernon Area trounces Trinity in Humbert’s debut
- California victim of Clairton’s ‘statement’
- Jackson brothers lead way as Highlands rolls in Class AA debut over Ford City
- Previewing Week 1 high school football matchups
- Late 98-yard pick 6 seals Norwin’s shutout win over Latrobe