Baldwin, West Shamokin hire football coaches
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Baldwin has a new football coach, but the decision didn't come without some discussion and dissension Wednesday night.
The Baldwin-Whitehall board of directors voted 6-3 to hire the high school's dean of students, Pete Wagner Jr., to replace Jim Wehner, who resigned last month. That vote came after board members denied a recommendation to hire Seton-La Salle coach Greg Perry by a 5-4 vote.
“(Wagner) has worked with the kids. He knows the kids,” board director Ray Rosing said. “When are we going to give somebody a chance?”
Wagner was Baldwin's offensive coordinator this past season and also has been an assistant coach at Seton-La Salle and Montour. He played at Valley Forge Military Academy and Morehead State University.
Perry is 60-20 in eight seasons at Seton-La Salle, where he also was the offensive coordinator for 10 seasons prior. The Rebels have won six conference titles and two WPIAL championships during his tenure.
The West Shamokin football team will have a familiar face in change next season, as defensive coordinator Jon McCullough was promoted to head coach this week, replacing Josh Gilliland, who resigned after last season.
“I had confidence that they'd look at the in-house candidates, especially with the progress we've made,” said McCullough, 33. “We're going to be a team that plays hard for all 48 minutes and doesn't beat itself. I think we'll put a product on the field that everybody can be proud of.”
WPIAL teams still without a football coach include Bishop Canevin, California, Canon-McMillan, Gateway, Freedom, Hollidaysburg, North Hills, Northgate, Pine-Richland, Plum, Serra Catholic and Southmoreland.
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Charleroi’s Shannon Player of the Week
- High school notebook: Plenty to play for in GAC in Week 9
- HS highlight reel: Quite a weekend for Penn-Traffod’s Aunkst
- Gorman: Perry makes the right call on playoffs
- South Park uses 90-second, 28-point surge to get past Steel Valley
- High school roundup: Trinity upsets West Mifflin in Big 9
- South Allegheny tops winless Carlynton in brawl-marred game
- Charleroi wins wild, long affair
- Thomas Jefferson beats Franklin Regional, remains undefeated
- Pine-Richland football team looks to stun another Quad North rival
- Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Q&A: South Park’s Nick Scholle