Laurel undergoing overhaul with new coach
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Laurel will have a new look under first-year coach Pat Cuba.
Changes are planned offensively and defensively to take advantage of the team's quickness.
“On defense, we'll be playing a stack-type defense with multiple coverage,” Cuba said. “Offensively, we'll use more (option plays).”
Junior Rick Nail marveled at the extent of changes.
“Everything's different,” Nail said. “It's the complete opposite of last year. All the names of plays changed; calls are different. Things will be spread out more. On the line, we'll pull gaps differently. It should be fun.”
The Spartans' top passer and rusher a year ago, senior Joshua Dando returns at quarterback. Other skill-position players include senior Kyle Forbes and juniors Matthew Conway and Clayton Sharek. Senior Spencer Pullium will be a two-way starter at tight end and linebacker.
Senior Aaron Vanasco and juniors Antonio Pasquale and Sean Harlan join Nail as linemen.
Depth isn't expected to be a problem, Cuba said. The Spartans have two reserve quarterbacks and two to three players for each running back spot.
“We're in good shape that way,” he said.
While new to the program, Cuba isn't new to some players.
“I taught at Laurel,” Cuba said. “They know me.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- HS highlight reel: Central Catholic’s Joseph commits to PSU
- HS highlight reel: Bridgers star could be asset to Quips
- ‘Miracle’ Highlands-Apollo Ridge game leaves lasting impression
- Highlands wins thriller over Apollo-Ridge
- Butler football team showing improvement
- South Park grinds out win over East Allegheny
- Monessen’s Rullo tabbed Player of Week
- Suddenly hot Derry awaits Southmoreland
- Ford City upsets No. 9 Shady Side Academy behind Walker’s 5 TDs
- Pine-Richland finally breaks through vs. North Hills
- High school roundup: Chartiers-Houston boots Bishop Canevin