Laurel undergoing overhaul with new coach
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Laurel will have a new look under first-year coach Pat Cuba.
Changes are planned offensively and defensively to take advantage of the team's quickness.
“On defense, we'll be playing a stack-type defense with multiple coverage,” Cuba said. “Offensively, we'll use more (option plays).”
Junior Rick Nail marveled at the extent of changes.
“Everything's different,” Nail said. “It's the complete opposite of last year. All the names of plays changed; calls are different. Things will be spread out more. On the line, we'll pull gaps differently. It should be fun.”
The Spartans' top passer and rusher a year ago, senior Joshua Dando returns at quarterback. Other skill-position players include senior Kyle Forbes and juniors Matthew Conway and Clayton Sharek. Senior Spencer Pullium will be a two-way starter at tight end and linebacker.
Senior Aaron Vanasco and juniors Antonio Pasquale and Sean Harlan join Nail as linemen.
Depth isn't expected to be a problem, Cuba said. The Spartans have two reserve quarterbacks and two to three players for each running back spot.
“We're in good shape that way,” he said.
While new to the program, Cuba isn't new to some players.
“I taught at Laurel,” Cuba said. “They know me.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school notebook: Thomas Jefferson, Clairton head into enemy territory
- Thomas Jefferson uses defense, running game to capture WPIAL title
- Aliquippa wins 16th WPIAL title, ends South Fayette’s 44-game winning streak
- Central Catholic wins 5th WPIAL football title
- Clairton captures 12th WPIAL football championship
- Clairton among greatest WPIAL dynasties; Aliquippa, South Fayette close
- WPIAL Class AAA final preview: Big-play passing attack paying off for defending WPIAL champion Central Valley
- WPIAL Class AAAA final preview: Penn-Trafford looking to reverse trend of playoff losses to Central Catholic
- High school notebook: New classes put football finalists on the move next season
- WPIAL Class AAAA notes: P-T unable to snap playoff skid vs. Central Catholic
- WPIAL Class A notes: Return sparks Clairton for 2nd straight week