Neshannock hoping for encore performance of 2012 campaign
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Fred Mozzocio is looking for more in his second season as Neshannock's coach.
Last season, Neshannock posted a 10-2 record and won a pair of playoff games — the first postseason victories in school history — before losing to eventual WPIAL and PIAA champion Clairton. A share of the Big 7 Conference title and a couple of playoff wins were not the ultimate goal, but they should serve as building blocks for the future of the Lancers' program.
“I didn't come here looking to have just one good year,” Mozzocio said. “This is a brand new season.
“We can't rest on the laurels of the way we finished last season.”
Offensively, the Lancers will be paced by senior quarterback Ernie Burkes, who threw for more than 1,500 yards and 19 touchdowns last season.
When Burkes isn't airing it out, he'll be handing off to junior running back Eli Owens, who notched a robust 7.5 yards per carry and reached the end zone nine times in 2012.
With stout competition in the Big 7 again this season, Mozzocio said his players will have to bring their best every night to be successful.
“Other teams are out there working hard,” Mozzocio said. “We have to find a way to be better than everyone else.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Frazier’s Ross is Player of the Week
- Jackson brothers lead way as Highlands rolls in Class AA debut over Ford City
- HS highlight reel: Red, White & Blue Invite set for Saturday
- McKeesport’s Hudson sets career high in rout of Connellsville
- QB leads Kittanning to season-opening victory over Deer Lakes
- Wilkinsburg holds off Leechburg
- Trueman sparks North Allegheny’s 14-0 victory over Seneca Valley
- Greensburg Tribune-Review Q&A: Jeannette’s Julian Batts
- Pevarnik’s scoring binge leads GCC to 15-12 victory over Monessen
- California victim of Clairton’s ‘statement’
- New coach hopes to rebuild at Butler