Shenango's 1st-year coach likes team's potential
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Shenango expects improvement under first-year coach Mike Commesso.
The Wildcats return three top skill players, including senior Anthony Prestopine. Besides being Shenango's top passer, he was second in rushing with 427 yards and three touchdowns last year.
Senior linemen Alonza Regna and Vince Albertini also are back.
“We have a lot of potential,” said Commesso, a former Hopewell defensive coordinator in his first head coaching job. “I like what we have.”
Prestopine said offseason workouts were upbeat.
“We're all excited,” Prestopine said. “There's definitely been more energy in practice.”
The Wildcats will feature a couple of new wrinkles.
“We're going to be a play-action, run-oriented team,” Commesso said. “Defensively, we'll be running a 4-2-5 plan.”
“The offense will be spread out a little more, which is good,” Prestopine said. “Defensively, my assignments decreased.
“There will be less pressure.”
Prestopine and Brent McCormick will be linebackers.
The coaching staff will include Commesso's father, Lew, a former head coach at Mohawk.
“We brought in coaches but also have one from Shenango (Harold Taylor) who's helping in the transition,” Commesso said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- PIAA quarterfinalists Central Valley, Conneaut sharing success after mergers
- Thomas Jefferson gridders post 3rd straight 11-1 record
- South Fayette, Karns City set for rematch in PIAA quarterfinals
- Pine-Richland tops defending champ Central Catholic to capture WPIAL title
- Brentwood’s Conroy shares top conference award on defense
- Scoring record within reach for Clairton
- Central Valley dominates Ringgold, goes for 2nd WPIAL title since 2010
- WPIAL’s Top 10 football champions of all time
- From venues to playoff format, much has changed in 100 years of WPIAL championships
- WPIAL Class AAA notebook: Central Valley to face another merger in PIAA playoffs
- High school football notebook: Official’s decision impacts WPIAL Class AAAA title game