Bentworth again battling shorthanded roster
By Bill Hughes
Published: Thursday, Aug. 22, 2013, 8:55 p.m.
As is usually the case with Class A schools, Bentworth enters the season hurting for players.
Last season, then first-year coach Bob Niziol and his staff had 27 players, but nine graduated.
“We are only replacing (the nine seniors) with seven new bodies,” Niziol said. “Most of the new bodies have no high school experience.”
Expecting about 25 for the roster, Niziol still wants to see his team improve.
“Throughout the offseason, we have stressed competition and are getting better than we previously were,” he said. “A core group of the guys have really gone all-in with these concepts and will hopefully lead us to better performances in games and to a better overall record than I have seen.”
Senior Mason Shumaker, an offensive and defensive lineman, is a four-year starter, and Niziol is hoping he can lead up front.
Sophomore running backs Darius Hays and Ethan Tush will battle for time in the backfield, and junior Angelo Rios-Lopez will move from receiver to quarterback to lead the offense.
“We are returning one starter on the offensive line and three skill players who will move around,” Niziol said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.