Led by offensive line, Jefferson-Morgan has high expectations
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Jefferson-Morgan may call the Tri-County South home, but on paper its roster has the look of a small college team.
The Rockets feature a mammoth offensive line anchored by rising senior Jake Earnest (6-foot-10, 385 pounds). His linemates average nearly 6-1, 275 pounds and form one of the largest lines in Class A.
“The lines are going to be a definite strength,” coach Liam Ryan said. “We have a lot of size, strength and athletic guys who should really open some things up for us. We're looking for Earnest to have a huge season on both sides of the ball. … He's not going to come off the field very much. I think he's going to open up some eyes this season.”
The offensive line in particular should give a boost to junior quarterback Rece Henneman, who returns after starting the Rockets' final four games in 2012.
“Rece should have a pretty big year,” Ryan said. “He's worked hard and has good size (6-5, 200). He throws the ball well and has a lot of confidence.”
Ryan is also counting on two wide receivers — deep threat Gerald Metz and Logan Bowman, who also will play running back.
“We look good so far,” Ryan said. “We have a lot of good guys in the backfield to go with the line. We are aiming for a conference title and a return to the playoffs.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Frazier’s Ross is Player of the Week
- HS highlight reel: Red, White & Blue Invite set for Saturday
- Previewing Week 1 high school football matchups
- Through the years: Heard’s TD capped Valley rally
- Offensive weapons return for Fox Chapel
- High school football teams ready to start 2014 season
- Freshman Jaden Datz will start at cornerback for Southmoreland
- High school roundup: Seton-La Salle captures Century Conference win
- Belle Vernon Area trounces Trinity in Humbert’s debut
- California victim of Clairton’s ‘statement’
- Former defensive coordinator Wayne Wade a natural fit for Clairton job