Monessen finds Imani replacement
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Well, it seems Monessen football coach Andy Pacak had a change of heart about an unscheduled bye for the Greyhounds in Week 7.
After it was announced that Imani Christian was cancelling its football season, Pacak said the Greyhounds would use the open week as a bye to let players heal up from a rugged season.
So much for the bye.
The Greyhounds will be going to Frostburg, Md., to take on Mountain Ridge, a Class AA school, on Oct. 11.
The game will kick off at 7 p.m.
“The Internet is a wonderful thing,” Pacak said when explaining how the game came up so quickly. “I guess people get on computers and see who is open and things happened from there. We talked about resting that week, but we weren't sure we could even get a game. Now we have one.”
Pacak said Mountain Ridge contacted Monessen and offered to pay the school's expenses for going to the game.
Pacak said once the Miners agreed to play the game on a Friday night, he was in favor.
“I wasn't playing on a Saturday,” he said.
Monessen Athletic Director Gina Naccarato said she was contacted by Mountain Ridge A.D. Gary Davis who inquired about Monessen playing the Maryland school.
“They found out Imani folded its team and they also just lost a game on that date, so it worked out pretty well,” Naccarato said.
Pacak noted that the trip by bus to Frostburg will take a little less than two hours and the team will leave for the game at approximately 3:30 p.m.
Imani Christian officially informed the WPIAL on Monday that it was not going to field a team this season because of a lack of numbers.
That left the other teams in the Black Hills Conference, including Monessen and California.
California has yet to find an opponent for its open date, which will be Oct. 4.
Trojan coach Bo Teets said his school is actively looking for a replacement and has been trying to find a school out of state, but nothing has been worked out as of yet.
Jeff Oliver is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2666 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- HS highlight reel: Hearings scheduled before WPIAL board
- Latrobe boys soccer team competes in WPIAL playoffs for 1st time in 22 years
- Gorman: Perry makes the right call on playoffs
- High school notebook: Plenty to play for in GAC in Week 9
- HS highlight reel: Quite a weekend for Penn-Traffod’s Aunkst
- Highlands continues Allegheny domination in win over Valley
- Freeport QB sets passing mark in rout
- High school football roundup: Fulmore hits career milestone for CWNC
- High school roundup: Trinity upsets West Mifflin in Big 9
- Clairton gets its revenge against Monessen
- Hempfield surges in 2nd half past Latrobe