Moore's 4 TDs lead No. 5 Gateway past Connellsville
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Gateway and Connellsville played to a scoreless tie through the first quarter of their Quad East game at Antimarino Stadium on Friday.
Then, the host Gators used a potent passing attack and a quick hit on special teams to outscore the Falcons by 27 points in the second quarter en route to a 41-22 victory.
Connellsville (0-2, 0-2) has surrendered a combined 94 points in two losses. No. 5 Gateway (2-0, 2-0) had squeaked by Latrobe, 22-20, in Week 1.
“We're probably going to see a lot of good things on film because we moved the ball, but the end result stinks,” Falcons coach David McDonald said. “It's tough.”
Connellsville turned the ball over six times on five fumbles and a deflected interception.
Gateway broke a scoreless tie early in the second quarter on Zaihe Regus' 2-yard run.
Connellsville answered a second Gateway score with a five-play, 65-yard drive. A 1-yard scoring run from Dylan Knopsnider cut Gateway's lead to 15-8 with 6:06 remaining in the first half.
However, the Gators scored three times in just under three minutes to take control.
Montae Nicholson returned the ensuing kickoff 74 yards for a touchdown, and a Connellsville punt and a fumbled kickoff return set up a pair of touchdown passes by Gateway quarterback Jimmy Moore.
Moore passed for 144 yards in the second quarter and finished with 225 yards and four touchdowns.
Temple recruit Delvon Randall had seven receptions for 90 yards and two touchdowns.
“We have to do some things to shore up our pass defense,” McDonald said. “But (Gateway) has some great athletes.”
Connellsville finished the first half with 141 yards rushing — 88 coming on six carries from Knopsnider.
For the game, the Falcons tallied 262 yards on 51 rushing attempts.
Knopsnider finished the game with 91 yards rushing, while Christopher Russell added 66 yards on 15 carries.
Jade Maher went 3 of 8 for 23 yards.
Connellsville turned the ball over on four straight possessions to start the second half.
“You can't turn the ball over and win,” McDonald said.
Connellsville scored twice in the fourth quarter.
William Bell scored on a 42-yard run,while Jimmy Cellurale connected with Kyle Johnson on a 12-yard scoring strike.
Michael Love is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Schoolboy pick of the week: BVA
- Through the years: Vikings rolled in hurricane-delayed game
- Slow-starting Belle Vernon Area rolls to win over Uniontown
- Early score sets dominant tone in Springdale’s victory over Wilkinsburg
- Thomas Jefferson rides running game in rout of Laurel Highlands
- Valley Independent roundup: California, Yough stay winless with routs
- McKeesport won’t waver after shutout loss to Penn-Trafford
- Quaker Valley football team follows its leaders
- Alle-Kiski Valley HSFB notebook: Petrishen makes stop in Alle-Kiski Valley
- HS highlight reel: Plum suspends soccer coach for season
- Statewide high school football notebook: Clairton’s scoring gaining attention across Pa.