Readers call foul on Birdie's picks
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The bird watchers never put down the binoculars.
Some local readers didn't like the Birdie's Week 1 predictions and banned together to bench the prodigious prognosticator.
“So I'm sitting in the office lunchroom having some grub with my wingman ghostwriter when I get called into the boss's office,” Birdie said. “I hadn't even finished my french-fry burger, and, boom, I was suspended for half a game.”
The Birdie had to wait in his Chevette until halftime before he could go into the stadium. There was not enough evidence to prove his picks were malicious, so he was allowed to continue working.
Perfect time, too, because the Birdie always gets excited for Burrell-Valley.
Now, his assessment on Week 2:
Burrell (1-0, 0-0) at Valley (1-0, 1-0)
Valley has the edge unless it makes a penalty every five seconds. Burrell won't back down.
Deer Lakes (0-1, 0-1) at S.S. Academy (1-0, 1-0)
Deer Lakes has shown some life at special teams and that could keep it in this game.
Shady Side Academy, 28-14
Ford City (0-1, 0-1) at Freeport (0-1, 0-1)
Both teams are trying to replace graduation losses, but do present a decent matchup.
Ford City, 14-12
Fox Chapel (0-1, 0-1) at North Allegheny (1-0, 0-0)
A fast start is all North Allegheny will need.
North Allegheny, 35-13
Hampton (0-1, 0-1) at Highlands (1-0, 1-0)
Highlands showed balance on offense against Hollidaysburg. Look for more of that.
Altoona (1-0, 1-0) at Kiski Area (1-0, 1-0)
Kiski Area scored 53 last week. It beat Altoona, 7-0, last year, but will get more this time.
Kiski Area, 27-16
East Allegheny (0-1, 0-1) at Kittanning (1-0, 1-0)
Kittanning is back to ground-and-pound and will continue to play with Toys this week.
Knoch (0-1) at Trinity (0-1)
Knoch will travel a long way but it will be worth it.
Leechburg (0-1) at Union (0-1)
Union was shut out last week, while Leechburg had some bright spots. Close one here.
Baldwin (0-1, 0-1) at Plum (0-1, 0-1)
Baldwin's team speed will give Plum trouble.
Riverview (0-1, 0-1) at Avonworth (1-0, 0-0)
Riverview can't afford to make the same mistakes as last week.
Springdale (0-1, 0-1) at North Catholic (1-0, 1-0)
North Catholic will look to get its running game going.
North Catholic, 21-6
Apollo-Ridge (0-1, 0-1) at Wilkinsburg (1-0, 1-0)
Apollo-Ridge will bounce back in a big way after a double-overtime loss to North Catholic.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Valley edges emotional Burrell team on OT field goal
- Experienced Bishop Canevin football team raising its expectations
- Jackson brothers lead way as Highlands rolls in Class AA debut over Ford City
- High school roundup: Seton-La Salle captures Century Conference win
- Veteran Bishop Canevin team has high expectations
- Thomas Jefferson led by 4 returning all-conference players
- Senior TE/DE hoping for a pain-free senior season with Thomas Jefferson
- Team effort pushes Penn-Trafford past Kiski Area
- Sophomore RB Coxon leads Plum to lopsided win
- Tipton accounts for 4 TDs in Apollo-Ridge’s 41-21 victory over West Shamokin
- Jeannette rips Riverview in Class A debut