Geibel to forfeit Week 2 game against Beth-Center
In the wake of an 81-0 loss to Frazier in Week 1 of the high school football season, Geibel has elected to forfeit its scheduled Week 2 contest to host Beth-Center.
“Right now, we would only have 12 kids,” said Geibel athletic director Shawn Holup, noting that PIAA rules require teams to dress at least 13 players for varsity football.
Holup said that of the 16 players on Geibel's roster, several were injured in Friday's Tri-County South Conference loss to the Commodores, and one player is on vacation. One player suffered a concussion, while several others received bumps and bruises. Holup also admitted that the Gators, who feature six freshmen and many other inexperienced players, cannot realistically expect to compete with a team of Beth-Center's caliber.
“Beth-Center is the best team in the section, and of the 16 kids on our roster, 10 were playing in their first football game on Friday night,” Holup said. “They're not going to be ready for that type of team.”
Last year, Geibel was forced to forfeit its first two games of the season, but managed to come back and play out the rest of its schedule. Geibel again is in a week-to-week situation. The Gators' next scheduled game is at Vincentian on Sept. 13.
“At the end of this week, we'll reevaluate and see if we have enough kids to play Vincentian,” Holup said.
Holup indicated that the decision was made early in the week to forfeit to Beth-Center so the Bulldogs possibly would have enough time to find a replacement game.
Holup is hoping that this week's forfeit gives the team ample time recover in an attempt to continue on with its schedule. Still, it's a situation that Holup and the Gators were hoping to avoid.
“It's not ideal, and it's not what we wanted,” Holup said.
Jason Black is the local sports editor of the Daily Courier. Reach him at email@example.com.