High school roundup: McKeesport takes down Woodland Hills
TribLIVE Sports Videos
George Smith's return to Weigle-Schaeffer Memorial Stadium after a three-year hiatus was successful.
McKeesport, celebrating homecoming and honoring the 1994 and 2005 state championship teams, overcame a pair of early deficits to score 21 unanswered points before going on to a convincing 33-20 nonconference win over Woodland Hills (0-2, 0-1) on Saturday.
The win was Smith's 199th and his first at home since Oct. 16, 2009. Smith resigned after the 2009 season before returning this year.
“This is how we wanted to do it,” Smith said of starting the season 2-0.
The Tigers' flexbone offense wore down Woodland Hills to the tune of 247 yards and four TDs on the ground. Mikell Moore led the way for McKeesport (2-0, 1-0) with 69 yards and touchdown runs of 3 and 16 yards. Reggie Smith added 44 yards, including a 29-yard fourth-quarter touchdown run, while David Queen completed a pair of passes for 79 yards, including a 56-yard toss to TyWann Smith.
Western Beaver 30, OLSH 13 — Hunter Roknich rushed for 248 yards and two TDs as Western Beaver (1-1, 1-1) won a Class A Big Seven game.
Apollo-Ridge 56, Wilkinsburg 36 — Apollo-Ridge's special teams set up three first-half touchdowns as the Vikings (1-1, 1-1) rolled to a Class A Eastern Conference win. Jonah Casella ran for 115 yards and two touchdowns, while Wilkinsburg (1-1, 1-1) had a pair of 3-yard scoring passes from Ryan Cox to freshman Robert Higginbotham.
Waynesburg 14, Summit Academy 7 — Bo Hampson had 11 carries for 108 yards and a touchdown to lead Waynesburg over Summit Academy in a non-conference game. Elijah Hardy scored Summit Academy's lone touchdown.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Trib high school rankings for Sunday, Sept. 21
- High school roundup: Jeannette rolls to victory; Hempfield standout commits to IPFW
- Carlynton players carry on under new coach
- High school roundup: No. 9 North Allegheny takes down Upper St. Clair
- Schoolboy pick of the week: BVA
- Penn Hills runs past Mt. Lebanon defense
- Brown’s 7 TDs power Apollo-Ridge past Shady Side Academy
- Ringgold rolls over West Mifflin
- Patterson throws five TD passes in Frazier romp
- Monessen averts upset bid with 28-6 victory over Leechburg
- Seton-La Salle outlasts Steel Valley