The Birdie, aka 'Mr. Perfect,' likes short games
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Birdie has been predicting games in the Valley since the Allegheny River was a puddle. He has seen football games last just more than a hour and others that have taken three times that long.
And they're getting longer.
“It used to be I could check out a game, get back for deadline, then take the bobby-sock-clad Chickadee out for malts and burgers,” said the Birdie, who predicted all 13 local games correctly last week. “Nowadays, I could watch ‘Titanic' and take the garbage out in the time it takes to finish a game.”
Here's The Birdie's hurry-up offense for Week 3 (and he has no fears of Friday the 13th):
Western Beaver (1-1) at Apollo-Ridge (1-1)
Apollo-Ridge has to work on things defensively before it gets back into conference play.
Summit Academy (1-1, 1-0) at Burrell (1-1, 0-1)
Like Valley last week, Summit Academy might be too fast.
Summit Academy, 26-13
Freeport (0-2, 0-2) at Deer Lakes (0-2, 0-2)
Deer Lakes' special teams is the difference-maker.
Deer Lakes, 18-16
Ford City (1-1, 1-1) at East Allegheny (0-2, 0-2)
Ford City's defense will be tested through the air.
East Allegheny, 21-14
Latrobe (0-2) at Fox Chapel (0-2)
Latrobe almost beat Gateway.
Highlands (2-0, 2-0) at Franklin Regional (2-0, 2-0)
This somewhat under-the-radar clash could be a dandy.
Franklin Regional, 22-16
Kiski Area (2-0, 2-0) at Gateway (2-0, 2-0)
Remember Kiski linemen, birds of a feather block together.
Kittanning (2-0) at Greensburg C.C. (0-2)
GCC is due for a win.
Greensburg C.C., 26-13
Derry (0-2, 0-1) at Knoch (1-1, 0-1)
Knoch returns to Saxonburg and evens its conference record.
Avonworth (2-0, 1-0) at Leechburg (0-2, 0-1)
Avonworth has former Steelers on staff, and they'll be ready.
Mt. Lebanon (0-2, 0-1) at Plum (0-2, 0-2)
The Mustangs have to hold on to the football.
Wilkinsburg (1-1, 1-1) at Springdale (0-2, 0-2)
It's been awhile since Springdale started 0-3.
Shady Side Academy (2-0, 2-0) at Valley (2-0, 2-0)
Valley's defense will have to play even better than last week.
Shady Side Academy, 21-20
West Shamokin (2-0, 2-0) at Riverview (0-2, 0-2)
Nostradamus didn't see this coming. The Wolves will be 3-0.
West Shamokin, 26-13
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Through the years: Brown’s heroics lead Burrell to win
- Unbeaten Ringgold, BVA to collide for conference supremacy.
- PIAA votes to expand classifications in football, other sports
- VND high school notebook: Kiski Area’s Heavner keeps things interesting
- Through the years: Leechburg edges Freeport in mud
- Gridiron matchup between Freeport, Highlands a family affair
- Big games all around the area
- High school notebook: WPIAL title games could stay at The Pete, Heinz Field
- VND Through the Years: Chodkowski’s big game sent Highlands past North Hills
- West Allegheny rushes to victory over Montour
- H.S. Picks dishes out his midseason grades