Guido: Through the years
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Editor's note: Each Friday throughout the high school football season, the Valley News Dispatch will take a look back at the players, coaches and events that are part of local scholastic history.
Freeport moved to 3-1 on Sept. 19, 2008, with a 21-14 victory at Burrell. Quarterback Alex Isenberg scored on a 1-yard sneak with 4:48 left and the Yellowjackets stopped Burrell three times inside its 2 to preserve the win.
Five years ago
• Ford City running back Sean Kriley tied a school record with five touchdowns in a game as the Sabers pounded Summit Academy, 42-7.
10 years ago
• Justin Wray and Adam Gunn scored two touchdowns apiece as Kiski Area rolled past Indiana, 34-21, at Davis Field.
• Springdale honored its 1973 title team and gave fans a glimpse of what was to come as quarterback Jon Molnar scored two touchdowns in a 35-12 victory over Leechburg.
20 years ago
• Apollo-Ridge's Nate Dunmire ran back the opening kickoff 80 yards, and that proved to be enough as the Vikings got by Jeannette, 6-0.
• Running backs Matt Kutch of Kittanning and Bob Burke of Valley scored two touchdowns each as the Wildcats and Vikings played to a 20-20 stalemate.
25 years ago
• Dave Heavner scored two touchdowns and ran for 129 yards as Valley took the measure of Greensburg Central Catholic, 28-14. Heavner now coaches Kiski Area.
• Tom Nock and Jim Parker scored two touchdowns each as Deer Lakes downed Kittanning, 26-6. Roger Hill's 5-yard touchdown reception accounted for the Wildcats' only score.
30 years ago
• Plum's defense stopped Highlands five times deep in Mustangs territory to allow a Todd Strieter 58-yard scoring run to hold up in a 7-0 victory.
• Two fourth-quarter touchdown runs by Frank Phelps propelled Burrell to a 25-13 victory over Churchill.
40 years ago
• An overflow crowd at Valley High Memorial Stadium saw the Vikings end Kiski Area's WPIAL-record 45-game Foothills Conference winning streak with a 14-8 upset. Paul Collodi scored on a pass from Frank Milito then recovered a fumble late in the game to preserve the victory.
• Freeport junior Dan Leri ran for two touchdowns, threw for another and intercepted a Knoch pass as the Yellowjackets clipped the Knights, 37-0.
50 years ago
• Leechburg's Dennis Yajko ran for two touchdowns, and Dan Carroll threw for another as the Blue Devils remained undefeated with a 26-13 victory over Ford City.
• East Deer quarterback Joe Novosat tossed scoring passes to Gary Nyland and Rick Tatrn as the Bucks blanked Shannock Valley, 34-0.
75 years ago
• Har-Brack shocked Butler, 19-0, behind touchdowns from Eddie Klemczak, Willie Campbell and Dick Adams.
George Guido is a freelance writer.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Greensburg Tribune-Review’s Terrific 25: Penn-Trafford’s Vecchio leads the way as Player of the Year
- Pine-Richland’s DiNucci, South Fayette’s Brumbaugh honored by Pa. Football Writers
- Leader Times 2014 High School Football All-Stars
- WPIAL players named to Class AAA, A all-state teams
- Quaker Valley football moving to new conference
- Clairton’s Lamont Wade named Daily News Football Player of the Year
- Clairton’s Wade named Daily News Coach of the Year
- 2014 Valley News Dispatch football all-stars