Guido: Through the years
Editor's note: Each Friday throughout the high school football season, the Valley News Dispatch will take a look back at the players, coaches and events that are part of local scholastic history.
Freeport moved to 3-1 on Sept. 19, 2008, with a 21-14 victory at Burrell. Quarterback Alex Isenberg scored on a 1-yard sneak with 4:48 left and the Yellowjackets stopped Burrell three times inside its 2 to preserve the win.
Five years ago
• Ford City running back Sean Kriley tied a school record with five touchdowns in a game as the Sabers pounded Summit Academy, 42-7.
10 years ago
• Justin Wray and Adam Gunn scored two touchdowns apiece as Kiski Area rolled past Indiana, 34-21, at Davis Field.
• Springdale honored its 1973 title team and gave fans a glimpse of what was to come as quarterback Jon Molnar scored two touchdowns in a 35-12 victory over Leechburg.
20 years ago
• Apollo-Ridge's Nate Dunmire ran back the opening kickoff 80 yards, and that proved to be enough as the Vikings got by Jeannette, 6-0.
• Running backs Matt Kutch of Kittanning and Bob Burke of Valley scored two touchdowns each as the Wildcats and Vikings played to a 20-20 stalemate.
25 years ago
• Dave Heavner scored two touchdowns and ran for 129 yards as Valley took the measure of Greensburg Central Catholic, 28-14. Heavner now coaches Kiski Area.
• Tom Nock and Jim Parker scored two touchdowns each as Deer Lakes downed Kittanning, 26-6. Roger Hill's 5-yard touchdown reception accounted for the Wildcats' only score.
30 years ago
• Plum's defense stopped Highlands five times deep in Mustangs territory to allow a Todd Strieter 58-yard scoring run to hold up in a 7-0 victory.
• Two fourth-quarter touchdown runs by Frank Phelps propelled Burrell to a 25-13 victory over Churchill.
40 years ago
• An overflow crowd at Valley High Memorial Stadium saw the Vikings end Kiski Area's WPIAL-record 45-game Foothills Conference winning streak with a 14-8 upset. Paul Collodi scored on a pass from Frank Milito then recovered a fumble late in the game to preserve the victory.
• Freeport junior Dan Leri ran for two touchdowns, threw for another and intercepted a Knoch pass as the Yellowjackets clipped the Knights, 37-0.
50 years ago
• Leechburg's Dennis Yajko ran for two touchdowns, and Dan Carroll threw for another as the Blue Devils remained undefeated with a 26-13 victory over Ford City.
• East Deer quarterback Joe Novosat tossed scoring passes to Gary Nyland and Rick Tatrn as the Bucks blanked Shannock Valley, 34-0.
75 years ago
• Har-Brack shocked Butler, 19-0, behind touchdowns from Eddie Klemczak, Willie Campbell and Dick Adams.
George Guido is a freelance writer.