Burrell battles emotions in win over Summit Academy
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Heartache failed to hinder Burrell on Friday night at home against Summit Academy.
As they mourned the death of Tim Horwatt, the Bucs (2-1, 1-1) rolled to a 35-6 victory over the Knights (1-2, 1-1) in an Allegheny Conference play.
Tim Horwatt, who passed away Thursday, was the cousin of coach Kevin Horwatt, father of senior lineman Tyler Horwatt and a prominent member of the booster and youth organizations. A teary-eyed Kevin Horwatt took a knee with his team after the game as they said a prayer.
“First, I'm so proud of this team, the way they pulled together in some adversity,” Howatt said. “We got some things going on internally that we were able to work on overcoming. These kids came out and played four quarters of football and had fun doing it.”
With the score 21-0, Burrell was in search of a statement drive on offense. With the ball at their own 42-yard line, the Bucs began a nine-play, 58-yard drive that took more than five minutes off the clock. The drive was capped off by a 1-yard touchdown by senior Ryan Sowol, who finished with 105 yards and three scores.
Looking to answer the Burrell touchdown, Summit Academy put together a 14-play, 67-yard drive. But the Bucs forced an incomplete pass on fourth down at their 5-yard line.
“We didn't execute,” Summit Academy coach Steve Sherer. “It was physical on both sides. We didn't do a lot of things right. We still have some things we got to do. Some people are still learning.”
The Burrell offense then marched 95 yards down the field, with senior lineman Chad Tonks plowing in from 5 yards out.
“For me, emotionally right now, with everything my family is going through, my little cousin, it was his father that just passed away, this was good for him,” Horwatt said. “It was a step to ease some of the pain of everything that's going on right now.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Southmoreland plays Burgettstown in big game
- Monessen, Wilkinsburg await WPIAL ruling
- Southmoreland varsity gridders helping midget football teams
- Late touchdowns seal Southmoreland’s fate against Derry
- Gators hope to shake off tough loss to Tigers
- Tickets aplenty for Ringgold-BVA game
- Quaker Valley football coach emphasizes need to close out games
- Plum hopes to get back on track against Falcons
- Decision on football fracas expected today
- Apollo-Ridge hangs on for victory over Valley
- Jeannette forces turnovers to stay unbeaten at Springdale