Freeport erases 10-point deficit, downs Deer Lakes
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Freeport rallied to score two second-half touchdowns and came from behind to defeat Deer Lakes, 14-10, on Friday in a Class AA Allegheny Conference game at Lancer Stadium.
Freeport (1-2, 1-2) scored two second-half touchdowns in a 1:59 span.
“Every week, we ask them to grow up,” Freeport coach John Gaillot said. “I am very proud of this team to come back the way they did.”
Freeport finished with 329 yards of offense, all of it rushing. Quarterback Andrew Romanchak led the Yellowjackets with 112 yards, including a 76-yard touchdown run. Steve Lassinger added 110 yards, including a 17-yard touchdown run, and Michael Troup had 86 yards. Romanchak went 0 for 6 passing.
Freeport's first score, on Lassinger's run, came after Matt McCausland's 22-yard field goal gave Deer Lakes (0-3, 0-3) a 10-point lead. After a defensive stop, Romanchak scored to give Freeport the lead.
“Romanchak seems to really want to step up for this team,” Gaillot added. “And Steven Lassinger is the gutsiest, most hard-nosed kid. It was amazing how hard he ran.”
Deer Lakes senior quarterback Josh Plocki rushed for 113 yards and completed 6 of 15 passes for 74 yards. Deer Lakes had 209 yards of total offense.
“I am not faulting my kids at all because I am proud of the effort they gave,” Deer Lakes coach T.J. Wiley said.
Thomas Zuck is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fox Chapel football putting in preseason work
- Shady Side Academy football prepares for upcoming season
- Steel Valley players benefit from trip to NFL 7 on 7 event
- Latrobe freshman selected to USA Football event
- Franklin Regional, Norwin, Penn-Trafford compete at annual WCCA 7-on-7 tournament
- Clairton football team carving own niche
- Former Butler, PSU LB sharing insights with young players
- Heinauer sees benefits for Mars from 7-on-7 scrimmages
- Colts’ McAfee helps improve alma mater Plum’s weight room
- Penn-Trafford wins WCCA 7 on 7 tournament title