Freeport erases 10-point deficit, downs Deer Lakes
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Freeport rallied to score two second-half touchdowns and came from behind to defeat Deer Lakes, 14-10, on Friday in a Class AA Allegheny Conference game at Lancer Stadium.
Freeport (1-2, 1-2) scored two second-half touchdowns in a 1:59 span.
“Every week, we ask them to grow up,” Freeport coach John Gaillot said. “I am very proud of this team to come back the way they did.”
Freeport finished with 329 yards of offense, all of it rushing. Quarterback Andrew Romanchak led the Yellowjackets with 112 yards, including a 76-yard touchdown run. Steve Lassinger added 110 yards, including a 17-yard touchdown run, and Michael Troup had 86 yards. Romanchak went 0 for 6 passing.
Freeport's first score, on Lassinger's run, came after Matt McCausland's 22-yard field goal gave Deer Lakes (0-3, 0-3) a 10-point lead. After a defensive stop, Romanchak scored to give Freeport the lead.
“Romanchak seems to really want to step up for this team,” Gaillot added. “And Steven Lassinger is the gutsiest, most hard-nosed kid. It was amazing how hard he ran.”
Deer Lakes senior quarterback Josh Plocki rushed for 113 yards and completed 6 of 15 passes for 74 yards. Deer Lakes had 209 yards of total offense.
“I am not faulting my kids at all because I am proud of the effort they gave,” Deer Lakes coach T.J. Wiley said.
Thomas Zuck is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Decision on football fracas expected today
- Tickets aplenty for Ringgold-BVA game
- Southmoreland plays Burgettstown in big game
- Late touchdowns seal Southmoreland’s fate against Derry
- Southmoreland varsity gridders helping midget football teams
- Monessen, Wilkinsburg await WPIAL ruling
- Gators hope to shake off tough loss to Tigers
- Quaker Valley football coach emphasizes need to close out games
- Plum hopes to get back on track against Falcons
- Clairton prepares for rugged Jeannette by routing Riverview
- Bentworth’s Hughes named Player of Week