Through the Years: Graczyk super in loss to Talbots
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Editor's note: Each Friday throughout the high school football season, the Valley News Dispatch will take a look back at the players, coaches and events that are part of local scholastic history.
Junior tailback Pat Graczyk ran for 198 yards and two touchdowns, but it wasn't enough as Hampton took the Greater Allegheny Conference lead with a 29-15 decision over the Golden Rams. Talbots quarterback John Loiselle passed for three scores.
Five years ago
• Kittanning's Chris Shepard ran for 221 yards and three touchdowns, while the Wildcats scored on their first six possessions to down Apollo-Ridge 48-26.
• A combination of two Jeff Scampone touchdown runs and two big plays on special teams carried Riverview to a 31-8 victory over Carlynton and a first place tie in the Eastern Conference.
10 years ago
• Freeport quarterback Luke Westerman ran for two touchdowns and passed for another as the Yellowjackets handed North Catholic a 28-14 setback.
• After falling behind, 13-0, Highlands blitzed Valley with 34 unanswered points. Golden Rams fullback Kevin Linza scored four touchdowns in the 34-13 rout.
20 years ago
• Ford City won its second game after returning from a three-year hiatus by holding off Leechburg 13-7. Aaron Assad's sack of Leechburg quarterback Bobby Ausk in the waning moments after the Blue Devils had driven to the Sabers 1 preserved the win.
• Knoch's defense forced seven North Catholic turnovers as the Knights began defense of their Greater Allegheny Conference title with a 33-14 win over the Trojans.
25 years ago
• Apollo-Ridge took advantage of two Duquesne turnovers and running back Dave Cistrini scored two touchdowns, as the Vikings stayed undefeated in Eastern Conference play with a 17-6 victory over the Little Dukes.
30 years ago
• Leechburg's Tim Dubovi had only six carries, but two went for touchdowns as the Blue Devils got by Richland 26-13. Dubovi now coaches Freedom High School.
• Fox Chapel held Plum to 18 net rushing yards in a 14-0 Foxes victory. Plum, however, would win its next seven games and bring home the WPIAL Class AAAA, Division II title.
40 years ago
• Springdale's Larry Lutz scored on a 40-yard pass from Charlie Hertzog and on a 21-yard run as the Dynamos defeated Riverview 22-6.
• A fourth-quarter touchdown by Paul Kubichan and an extra point by J.R. Siwicki capped a late Deer Lakes rally to hand the Lancers a 7-6 win over Kittanning.
50 years ago
• West Deer's Paul Martinez scored two touchdowns, as the Braves held off Richland, 14-12.
• Kiski Area fullback Raplh Antenucci scored a pair of touchdowns, as the Cavaliers got the best of Ken High 26-13 in the first meeting between the two schools.
75 years ago
• Tarentum extended its unbeaten streak to 20 games with a 14-6 win over Springdale. Norb Gestner scored both Redcats touchdowns.
George Guido is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- High school roundup: Seton-La Salle captures Century Conference win
- Trueman sparks North Allegheny’s 14-0 victory over Seneca Valley
- Late 98-yard pick 6 seals Norwin’s shutout win over Latrobe
- Wilkinsburg holds off Leechburg
- Mars RB Schultheis could be out for season
- WPIAL teams value hard-to-come-by nonconference games in Week 1
- High school roundup: Greensburg Salem shocks Gateway in opener
- Sanders, Woodland Hills roll to victory against Peters Township
- Murray runs wild in Steel Valley victory over Carlynton
- Belle Vernon Area trounces Trinity in Humbert’s debut
- California victim of Clairton’s ‘statement’