Through the Years: Graczyk super in loss to Talbots
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Editor's note: Each Friday throughout the high school football season, the Valley News Dispatch will take a look back at the players, coaches and events that are part of local scholastic history.
Junior tailback Pat Graczyk ran for 198 yards and two touchdowns, but it wasn't enough as Hampton took the Greater Allegheny Conference lead with a 29-15 decision over the Golden Rams. Talbots quarterback John Loiselle passed for three scores.
Five years ago
• Kittanning's Chris Shepard ran for 221 yards and three touchdowns, while the Wildcats scored on their first six possessions to down Apollo-Ridge 48-26.
• A combination of two Jeff Scampone touchdown runs and two big plays on special teams carried Riverview to a 31-8 victory over Carlynton and a first place tie in the Eastern Conference.
10 years ago
• Freeport quarterback Luke Westerman ran for two touchdowns and passed for another as the Yellowjackets handed North Catholic a 28-14 setback.
• After falling behind, 13-0, Highlands blitzed Valley with 34 unanswered points. Golden Rams fullback Kevin Linza scored four touchdowns in the 34-13 rout.
20 years ago
• Ford City won its second game after returning from a three-year hiatus by holding off Leechburg 13-7. Aaron Assad's sack of Leechburg quarterback Bobby Ausk in the waning moments after the Blue Devils had driven to the Sabers 1 preserved the win.
• Knoch's defense forced seven North Catholic turnovers as the Knights began defense of their Greater Allegheny Conference title with a 33-14 win over the Trojans.
25 years ago
• Apollo-Ridge took advantage of two Duquesne turnovers and running back Dave Cistrini scored two touchdowns, as the Vikings stayed undefeated in Eastern Conference play with a 17-6 victory over the Little Dukes.
30 years ago
• Leechburg's Tim Dubovi had only six carries, but two went for touchdowns as the Blue Devils got by Richland 26-13. Dubovi now coaches Freedom High School.
• Fox Chapel held Plum to 18 net rushing yards in a 14-0 Foxes victory. Plum, however, would win its next seven games and bring home the WPIAL Class AAAA, Division II title.
40 years ago
• Springdale's Larry Lutz scored on a 40-yard pass from Charlie Hertzog and on a 21-yard run as the Dynamos defeated Riverview 22-6.
• A fourth-quarter touchdown by Paul Kubichan and an extra point by J.R. Siwicki capped a late Deer Lakes rally to hand the Lancers a 7-6 win over Kittanning.
50 years ago
• West Deer's Paul Martinez scored two touchdowns, as the Braves held off Richland, 14-12.
• Kiski Area fullback Raplh Antenucci scored a pair of touchdowns, as the Cavaliers got the best of Ken High 26-13 in the first meeting between the two schools.
75 years ago
• Tarentum extended its unbeaten streak to 20 games with a 14-6 win over Springdale. Norb Gestner scored both Redcats touchdowns.
George Guido is a freelance writer.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WPIAL players named to Class AAA, A all-state teams
- South Fayette football team distributes Steelers tickets to Carlynton, Wilkinsburg
- Defense shines as South Fayette returns to PIAA championship game
- Pine-Richland has new look for defending champ St. Joseph’s Prep
- 2014 Valley News Dispatch football all-stars