Allderdice tops Perry in City League showdown
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Allderdice third-string sophomore quarterback Dujuan Duggar was intercepted by Perry's Juyuan Byrd early in a Thursday City League matchup, but made up for in a big way when he stole the ball out of Byrd's hands and ran for a 41-yard touchdown late in the fourth quarter to give Allderdice (1-2, 1-0) a 22-19 victory at Cupples Stadium.
Duggar was pressed into action after James Jackson suffered a wrist injury and backup Alex Schneider was ineffective after Perry scored two defensive touchdowns in the fourth quarter.
“Perry is Perry. They are the defending City League champions and have won many in the past. We haven't won a championship since 1967,” Allderdice coach Jerry Haslett said.
“We told them to never give up and that there is no quitting with my players on my team.
“Tonight, they showed there was no quit.”
For Perry (1-2, 1-1), Kevin Griffin scored on a 13-yard run, and Gary Reid returned a fumble 22 yards for a score, and Griffin picked off three passes and returned one for a 50-yard touchdown.
James Jackson found Timothy Jackson for two long TD passes for Allderdice in the first half. James Jackson was later hurt on a third-down conversion to his brother.
— Andrew John
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Workforce to shrink as baby boomers retire, birth rates fall
- Pirates can’t overcome long rain delay, Indians in interleague setback
- Fun-seekers won’t let a Pittsburgh regatta without races get them down
- Youngwood man’s crash knocks out power in Monessen
- Bethel trio of siblings celebrate 150 years of marriage
- ‘Brothers’ share fathers’ legacies
- Aaron’s building review planned
- Man with Donora roots promoted to Air Force colonel
- Post-war welcome still stings
- Trial to begin Monday in Rostraver home invasion
- Rescuers use hoist to lift horse from Washington County sinkhole