Allderdice tops Perry in City League showdown
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Allderdice third-string sophomore quarterback Dujuan Duggar was intercepted by Perry's Juyuan Byrd early in a Thursday City League matchup, but made up for in a big way when he stole the ball out of Byrd's hands and ran for a 41-yard touchdown late in the fourth quarter to give Allderdice (1-2, 1-0) a 22-19 victory at Cupples Stadium.
Duggar was pressed into action after James Jackson suffered a wrist injury and backup Alex Schneider was ineffective after Perry scored two defensive touchdowns in the fourth quarter.
“Perry is Perry. They are the defending City League champions and have won many in the past. We haven't won a championship since 1967,” Allderdice coach Jerry Haslett said.
“We told them to never give up and that there is no quitting with my players on my team.
“Tonight, they showed there was no quit.”
For Perry (1-2, 1-1), Kevin Griffin scored on a 13-yard run, and Gary Reid returned a fumble 22 yards for a score, and Griffin picked off three passes and returned one for a 50-yard touchdown.
James Jackson found Timothy Jackson for two long TD passes for Allderdice in the first half. James Jackson was later hurt on a third-down conversion to his brother.
— Andrew John
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fight ends Monessen game early
- Fight stops Monessen-Wilkinsburg game in 3rd quarter
- Gorman: Frazier finds another star
- Bentworth’s Hughes named Player of Week
- WPIAL to conduct hearing on Monessen-Wilkinsburg fight
- Hampton running on all cylinders in shutout victory over Knoch
- Shady Side Academy gets key conference victory
- Highlands humbles Deer Lakes in Allegheny Conference play
- HS highlight reel: County pride on the line this weekend
- Clairton prepares for rugged Jeannette by routing Riverview
- Bentworth gets healthy against Avella, 65-8