Guido: Through the years
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Editor's note: Each Friday throughout the high school football season, the Valley News Dispatch will take a look back at the players, coaches and events that are part of scholastic football history.
Scott McKillop became Kiski Area's all-time leader in tackles and showed his offensive prowess with an 8-yard pass reception from Adam Gunn that proved to be the difference as the Cavaliers upset McKeesport, 21-14, on Oct. 3, 2003.
Five years ago
• Burrell coach Tom Henderson won his 100th career game as the Bucs downed Apollo-Ridge, 42-15. Troy Highfield ran for three Burrell touchdowns.
• Highlands quarterback Jeff Sinclair engineered a 14-play, 80-yard drive in the fourth quarter as the Golden Rams stayed undefeated with a 21-14 victory over Indiana. Brendan Lucchino's 2-yard run culminated the drive.
10 years ago
• Deer Lakes coach Denny Fedigan returned to North Catholic where he coached for 14 seasons. Though Fedigan went to the wrong sideline at one point, his Lancers emerged with a 42-0 victory behind fullback Bob Smith's three touchdowns.
20 years ago
• Fox Chapel stunned three-time defending conference champion North Allegheny with a 21-14 victory at Newman Stadium. Quarterback Rurik Johnson's 47-yard sideline scramble with 2:38 left in the game provided the margin of victory.
• Valley linebacker Harvey Oliver's blocked punt led to the winning drive as the Vikings rallied to beat Ellwood City, 18-14, on Bob Burke's 15-yard run with 8:38 to go.
25 years ago
• Gus Frerotte fired touchdown passes to Mike Bower and Chris Russell as Ford City defeated Greensburg Central Catholic, 18-6, in Allegheny Conference play.
• Riverview quarterback Garry Bonner scored on a keeper and threw touchdown passes of 19 and 8 yards to Tim Flanders as the Raiders knocked off Duquesne, 34-12.
30 years ago
• Kittanning fullback Scott Claypoole carried 31 times for 208 yards as the Wildcats took the measure of Leechburg, 35-13.
• Knoch's defense held Franklin Regional to 3 rushing yards, and A.J. Pagano ran for a pair of scores as the Knights rolled to a 34-8 victory.
40 years ago
• Kiski Area lost its first home game in five years as Penn Hills dumped the Cavaliers, 28-7. Louis Biondi, now part of a Monroeville automotive dealership family, scored two Indians touchdowns.
• Freeport's defense gave up its first points in five games, but the Yellowjackets prevailed, 48-20. Ed King, now the athletic director at Hyattsville (Md.) DeMatha Catholic, scored a pair of Freeport touchdowns.
50 years ago
• Tarentum scored all 21 points in the fourth quarter on two Paul Killian touchdowns and a pass from Ron Misejka to Bob Haggerty as the Redcats blanked West Deer, 21-0.
• Plum and Springdale played to the season's first tie, 13-13. Joe Hoak and Bill Crumley had Dynamos touchdowns, and Denny Stonis and Larry Miller crossed the goal line for the Mustangs.
75 years ago
• A late 20-yard touchdown pass to Freeport's Rusty Helmick earned the Yellowjackets a 6-6 draw against Leechburg.
Show commenting policy