USO routs Brashear behind Brown's 5 TDs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
USO and hard-tossing quarterback Ron Brown continued to put up big numbers, rolling to a 51-6 victory over Brashear (1-3, 1-1) in City League action Thursday night.
Brown finished 28 of 39 for 343 yards and five touchdowns to build on his City League-leading totals.
“We tried to mix up coverages and some things,” Brashear coach Rick Murphy said. “It's hard to fight from behind to a team like that.”
First-place USO limited Brashear quarterback Angelo Reed to 43 yards on eight completions and two interceptions, including a 41-yard touchdown return by Nicholas Stallworth. USO also recorded six sacks.
“What I was most impressed with was our defense,” USO coach Lou Berry said. “People think we're all about our offense, and respectfully so, but we know defense wins championships.”
USO (4-0, 2-0) returns to City League action against Allderdice on Oct. 4.
“I think (the team) is still a work in progress,” Berry said. “At the end of the day, we haven't faced a winning ball club yet.”
Justin Criado is a freelance writer
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Freeport’s Hochbein twins bring experience on both sides of ball
- Baldwin’s outlook bolstered by 16 returning starters
- Gorman: McKeesport’s Hudson has name brand
- Thomas Jefferson led by 4 returning all-conference players
- HSFB preview by position: Transition to defensive line no easy task
- HSFB preview by position: WPIAL is stacked at last line of defense
- Perry looking to return success to Keystone Oaks football
- HSFB preview by position: Central Valley’s Whitehead among nation’s best defensive backs
- Sturdy Burrell running back Sowol ready for encore
- Brown’s value equal on offense, defense for East Allegheny
- Plum football ready to defy skeptics, start winning tradition