USO routs Brashear behind Brown's 5 TDs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
USO and hard-tossing quarterback Ron Brown continued to put up big numbers, rolling to a 51-6 victory over Brashear (1-3, 1-1) in City League action Thursday night.
Brown finished 28 of 39 for 343 yards and five touchdowns to build on his City League-leading totals.
“We tried to mix up coverages and some things,” Brashear coach Rick Murphy said. “It's hard to fight from behind to a team like that.”
First-place USO limited Brashear quarterback Angelo Reed to 43 yards on eight completions and two interceptions, including a 41-yard touchdown return by Nicholas Stallworth. USO also recorded six sacks.
“What I was most impressed with was our defense,” USO coach Lou Berry said. “People think we're all about our offense, and respectfully so, but we know defense wins championships.”
USO (4-0, 2-0) returns to City League action against Allderdice on Oct. 4.
“I think (the team) is still a work in progress,” Berry said. “At the end of the day, we haven't faced a winning ball club yet.”
Justin Criado is a freelance writer
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- South Fayette, Karns City set for rematch in PIAA quarterfinals
- Penn Hills relishes conference title, reflects on season
- PIAA quarterfinalists Central Valley, Conneaut sharing success after mergers
- Brentwood’s Conroy shares top conference award on defense
- WPIAL’s Top 10 football champions of all time
- Pine-Richland tops defending champ Central Catholic to capture WPIAL title
- WPIAL Class AAA notebook: Central Valley to face another merger in PIAA playoffs
- Pine-Richland’s ‘Neil’ the ram has happy home
- Liotta, Petrishen represent AK-Valley at WPIAL football finals
- South Fayette again defeats Aliquippa to defend WPIAL Class AA title
- Scoring record within reach for Clairton