USO routs Brashear behind Brown's 5 TDs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
USO and hard-tossing quarterback Ron Brown continued to put up big numbers, rolling to a 51-6 victory over Brashear (1-3, 1-1) in City League action Thursday night.
Brown finished 28 of 39 for 343 yards and five touchdowns to build on his City League-leading totals.
“We tried to mix up coverages and some things,” Brashear coach Rick Murphy said. “It's hard to fight from behind to a team like that.”
First-place USO limited Brashear quarterback Angelo Reed to 43 yards on eight completions and two interceptions, including a 41-yard touchdown return by Nicholas Stallworth. USO also recorded six sacks.
“What I was most impressed with was our defense,” USO coach Lou Berry said. “People think we're all about our offense, and respectfully so, but we know defense wins championships.”
USO (4-0, 2-0) returns to City League action against Allderdice on Oct. 4.
“I think (the team) is still a work in progress,” Berry said. “At the end of the day, we haven't faced a winning ball club yet.”
Justin Criado is a freelance writer
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Some of the WPIAL’s top teams leaning toward two-back ground game
- New football uniforms can change perceptions, help establish identity
- Class AAAA breakdown: Wealth of talent places target on Central Catholic
- Class AAA breakdown: Armstrong merger shakes up Greater Allegheny Conference
- Class AA breakdown: Dynamic offense to again lead 2-time PIAA champion South Fayette
- Freeport football star Thimons might be even better off the field than on it
- Gorman: Don’t judge WPIAL by the cover
- Ringgold working on reversing trends
- McKeesport’s offensive motor and defensive stopper, Hudson is special
- Class A breakdown: Teams going Bear hunting again this season chasing Clairton
- Freeport looks to air it out again