USO routs Brashear behind Brown's 5 TDs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
USO and hard-tossing quarterback Ron Brown continued to put up big numbers, rolling to a 51-6 victory over Brashear (1-3, 1-1) in City League action Thursday night.
Brown finished 28 of 39 for 343 yards and five touchdowns to build on his City League-leading totals.
“We tried to mix up coverages and some things,” Brashear coach Rick Murphy said. “It's hard to fight from behind to a team like that.”
First-place USO limited Brashear quarterback Angelo Reed to 43 yards on eight completions and two interceptions, including a 41-yard touchdown return by Nicholas Stallworth. USO also recorded six sacks.
“What I was most impressed with was our defense,” USO coach Lou Berry said. “People think we're all about our offense, and respectfully so, but we know defense wins championships.”
USO (4-0, 2-0) returns to City League action against Allderdice on Oct. 4.
“I think (the team) is still a work in progress,” Berry said. “At the end of the day, we haven't faced a winning ball club yet.”
Justin Criado is a freelance writer
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school football roundup: Fulmore hits career milestone for CWNC
- Hectic week ahead for WPIAL student-athletes
- Apollo-Ridge offense earns rest period against Deer Lakes
- South Fayette offense rolls past Seton-La Salle
- South Park uses 90-second, 28-point surge to get past Steel Valley
- Jeannette RB Hall looks to older brothers for inspiration
- Previewing some of Western Pa.’s top matchups for Week 8
- HS highlight reel: City League cancels 2 football games after fight
- Pine-Richland knocks off No. 1 Central Catholic, takes conference title
- Thomas Jefferson beats Franklin Regional, remains undefeated
- What a rush: Aliquippa keeps rolling