Central Catholic eases past Fox Chapel
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Central Catholic senior running back Luigi Lista-Brinza paced the high-powered Vikings offense as he ran for 202 yards on 21 carries and scored a touchdown in a 49-10 win over Quad North opponent Fox Chapel on Friday night at Highmark Stadium.
Top-ranked Central Catholic entered the game averaging more than 48 points per game.
“I have to give credit to Fox Chapel,” Central Catholic coach Terry Totten said. “They came in with a nice plan. I thought we played a little bit with our pads high and a little bit sloppy.”
The Vikings (4-0, 3-0) jumped out to a 7-0 lead thanks to senior Devin Faloon's 2-yard touchdown run. Central Catholic used a 10-play, 79-yard drive that took up 4 minutes, 18 seconds off the clock in the opening quarter.
Fox Chapel (0-4, 0-3), which suffered a spate of injuries during the preseason, held its own in the first half. The Foxes just could not get into rhythm as they were 2 of 8 on third down, helping contribute to a 21-0 halftime deficit.
“Central really only had one drive in the first,” Fox Chapel coach Eric Ravotti said. “It was their first drive, but after that the defense played really well. Our players battled the whole night and did not give up. I'm really proud of the way they fought.”
The Vikings wore down the Foxes as J.J. Cosentino's 1-yard quarterback keeper gave Central a 28-3 lead with 5:37 left in the third quarter. The score was Cosentino's second of the game. He finished with four carries for 25 yards and was 5 for 12 for 44 yards passing.
Central put the game away with a 21-point third quarter that turned a 21-0 lead into a 42-3 advantage.
“We have a long way to go,” Totten said. “We're fighting like everybody else, and we have a long way to go to get getter.”
Jeff DeBaldo is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school football notebook: WPIAL might welcome another team next year
- HS highlight reel: Hearings scheduled before WPIAL board
- Now in Class A, rivals GCC, Jeannette to battle for 2nd place in Eastern Conference
- H.S. Picks rounding into postseason form
- Charleroi-Cal only 10th game in town
- Latrobe boys soccer team competes in WPIAL playoffs for 1st time in 22 years
- High school football roundup: Fulmore hits career milestone for CWNC
- High school notebook: Plenty to play for in GAC in Week 9
- Charleroi’s Shannon Player of the Week
- Valley News Dispatch Q&A: Ford City’s Zeke Walker
- HS highlight reel: Quite a weekend for Penn-Traffod’s Aunkst