Big first half leads Shady Side past Burrell
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Shady Side Academy scored early and often to defeat Burrell, 49-14, in a Class AA Allegheny Conference game on Friday nigh at Michael J. Farrell Stadium in Fox Chapel.
The Indians (4-0, 4-0) took the opening kickoff and embarked on their most time-consuming drive of the first half to open the scoring. Jarred Brevard scored on a 1-yard run to cap a five-play, 73-yard drive. The drive's key play was a 60-yard run by senior quarterback Charles Calabrese III.
After a defensive stop by Shady Side, the floodgates opened, and the Indians scored on every one of their five first-half possessions. The Indians added an interception return and a kickoff return for scores to take a 35-point lead into the half.
Calabrese completed two of four passes, all in the first half, for 112 yards and a pair of scores. Brevard led the Indians with 77 yards and two scores on four attempts.
“You have to have some impact plays, and we did,” Shady Side coach Dave Havern said. “But we have to do some things fundamentally better going down the road. We did some things that were very good, and we did some things that we got away with.”
Shady Side had a decided edge in yards, 387 to 150, even though first downs for the game were even at nine.
“This is definitely a gut-check time for us,” Burrell coach Kevin Horwatt said. “We have to find out what type of team we have, and we have to look at what we did as coaches and players. I have known these kids for a long time, and I think they will respond.”
After Brevard's short touchdown run, Shady Side scored quickly the next four times it had the ball and used less than 41⁄2 minutes. By contrast, Burrell's most impressive drive of the game, one that resulted in a 1-yard touchdown run by senior quarterback Cody Wolfe, took 7:55 to complete.
In the first half, Burrell had nearly 17 minutes of possession to Shady Side's seven minutes and change. Burrell (1-2, 2-2) also had the edge in first downs, 8-6.
Burrell's first touchdown of the game came after Shady Side's Tucker Gillman scrambled 30 yards for a score. On the ensuing kickoff, aided by an unsportsmanlike penalty on Shady Side after Gillman's score, Anthony Potts scored on an 80-yard return.
Potts had another apparent kickoff return for a score called back because of a pair of penalties on Burrell. That came after Briggs scored on a 92-yard return following Wolfe's touchdown run.
Thomas Zuck is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school notebook: Plenty to play for in GAC in Week 9
- HS highlight reel: Quite a weekend for Penn-Traffod’s Aunkst
- Gorman: Perry makes the right call on playoffs
- Charleroi’s Shannon Player of the Week
- Apollo-Ridge offense earns rest period against Deer Lakes
- West Allegheny extends WPIAL winning streak to 26 games in victory over Montour
- Birdie ponders pretenders, contenders
- Highlands continues Allegheny domination in win over Valley
- High school football roundup: Fulmore hits career milestone for CWNC
- Hectic week ahead for WPIAL student-athletes
- Statewide HSFB notebook: After blackout, McDevitt downs Cedar Cliff in two-day game