Riverview no match for No. 3 Trojans
TribLIVE Sports Videos
North Catholic continued its dominance over the Eastern A Conference on Friday night, breezing to a 56-7 victory over Riverview at J.C. Stone Field.
Riverview (0-4, 0-4) failed to contain North Catholic's rushing attack in the first half, as four different Trojans (4-0, 4-0) scored five rushing touchdowns, leading to a 40-0 halftime lead.
Junior running back Jerome Turner started the onslaught with a 9-yard run in the first quarter. He cracked the Raiders' defense again on the next drive, scoring from 12 yards out. Junior quarterback Adam Sharlow hooked up with Ryan Kirby for a 23-yard touchdown pass that put the No. 3 Trojans up 20-0 at the end of the first quarter.
The second quarter was more of the same. Mario Latronica and Jarred Fragapane both scored on 1-yard runs, while Sharlow added a 3-yard touchdown run.
North Catholic coach Bob Ravenstahl said he is pleased with how the team has started the season, but still sees room for improvement.
“We got a pretty good team,” Ravenstahl said. “We got pretty far last year and the kids are hungry because they didn't make it to Heinz Field last year, so that's our goal.
“There's a lot to work on, believe me. It wasn't that easy.”
Riverview's defense improved in the second half, allowing two touchdowns. But with a running clock and several North Catholic starters, including Sharlow, out of the game, it wasn't much of a contest.
Wes Crosby is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school roundup: No. 9 North Allegheny takes down Upper St. Clair
- Gateway edges Knoch after deflected pass goes for TD
- Thomas Jefferson rolls to 4th straight win, routs Elizabeth Forward
- Robinson scores 4 TDs as Blairsville stays undefeated
- No. 5 Highlands uses turnovers to beat No. 7 Kittanning
- Clairton allows 2 scores but still sprints past Springdale
- Plum’s surge hands Norwin 1st loss, 23-14
- Penn Hills runs past Mt. Lebanon defense
- Ringgold rolls over West Mifflin
- Seton-La Salle outlasts Steel Valley
- No. 8 Greensburg Central Catholic outlasts Riverview