Ford City beats Southmoreland with late field goal
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It's every quarterback's dream to deliver a game-winning drive in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter.
Ford City junior quarterback Michael Bartosiewicz lived that dream Friday night, guiding his team to a game-winning field goal and a 9-6 win over Southmoreland in a Class-AA nonconference game at Ford City Athletic Field.
With the score 6-6 and the ball at the Southmoreland 38-yard line with 1:24 to play, Bartosiewicz led the Sabers (2-2) on a 31-yard, nine-play drive that set up a 24-yard field goal by junior Tyler Blaniar. After missing the extra point on Ford City's only touchdown, Blaniar left no doubt on the field goal.
“I just tried my best to stay calm and knew if I made it, we won the game,” Blaniar said.
Ford City coach John Bartolovic let the fans' reaction tell him the result.
“I actually turned around on that,” Bartolovic said about the field goal. “I didn't worry about him making it. I'm worried because they blocked the extra point earlier.”
The drive was set up after Southmoreland (0-4, 0-3) quarterback Brennan Bunner was intercepted by linebacker Garrett Virostek. The turnover came just five plays after a Ford City turnover: a Bartosiewicz interception.
Southmoreland was plagued by nine penalties for 105 yards, something that had Southmoreland coach Mark Adams angry after the game.
“It wasn't about the end,” Adams said. “It was about the beginning, the middle and also everything. I mean, my goodness, we come down here to play a football game. Let the kids play. When I see the referees more than I see football, I know something's wrong.”
Southmoreland junior running back Jake Pisula rushed for 141 yards on 33 carries.
D.J. Vasil is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Frazier’s Ross is Player of the Week
- HS highlight reel: Red, White & Blue Invite set for Saturday
- Big 9 rival Ringgold to challenge Thomas Jefferson in season opener
- Mars RB Schultheis could be out for season
- High school roundup: Seton-La Salle captures Century Conference win
- Belle Vernon Area trounces Trinity in Humbert’s debut
- District 9 roundup: Redbank Valley posts shutout
- New season, new home for Belle Vernon coach Humbert
- Thomas Jefferson runs past Ringgold
- Murray runs wild in Steel Valley victory over Carlynton
- West Allegheny chasing WPIAL championship 3-peat