Birdie looks for best student sections
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Birdie is looking for a few good students. Well, more like hundreds.
The VND's football specialist wants to recognize the Alle-Kiski Valley's best student sections.
“When I was an adolescent peep at Molting Valley High, I was the ring-leader of our section,” Birdie said. “Between my time as editor of our high school paper, ‘The Omelette,' I organized raging themes.”
The Birdie heard Kittanning's student section, “Jubilation Nation,” called him out for picking the Wildcats to go 2-7. (They're 4-0).
“Even the best dishwasher misses a spoon,” Birdie said. “Kittanning owes me for free bulletin board material.”
The Birdie might sit with the Highlands' section when they're at home — “No room in the press box up there, and I lost my parking spot,” he said. “Come on, man.”
Students should tweet photos of their student sections and we're-the-best reasons to the Birdie.
Apollo-Ridge (3-1, 2-1) at Avonworth (4-0, 3-0)
Can you say, shootout? Look for points o'plenty.
Kittanning (4-0, 3-0) at Burrell (2-2, 1-2)
Kittanning was picked to go 2-7 but will move to 5-0.
Deer Lakes (0-4) at Charleroi (0-4)
Long road trip will be worth it for the Lancers.
Deer Lakes, 28-21
Highlands (3-1, 3-1) at Indiana (2-2, 2-2)
Highlands is still reeling from last week's loss to Mars.
Pine-Richland (2-2) at Kiski Area (2-2)
Kiski Area doesn't have the depth of Pine-Richland.
Hampton (2-2, 1-2) at Knoch (3-1, 2-1)
Knoch has quietly gone about its business; that will continue.
Springdale (1-3, 1-2) at Leechburg (0-4, 0-3)
Springdale has the Blue Devils' number, but this won't be easy.
Canon-McMillan (0-4, 0-3) at Plum (0-4, 0-4)
Neither team should be in this conference. Just not fair.
Wilkinsburg (1-2, 1-2) at Riverview (0-4, 0-4)
Riverview will get its first win.
East Allegheny (2-2, 2-2) at Valley (3-1, 3-1)
Valley has big-play capability.
Ford City (2-2, 1-2) at Summit Academy (1-3, 1-2)
Ford City needed a field goal to squeak past Southmoreland.
Summit Academy, 16-6
Freeport (1-3, 1-3) at Shady Side Academy (4-0, 4-0)
Shady Side will put on a show for its homecoming crowd.
Shady Side Academy, 33-6
Fox Chapel (0-4, 0-3) at Shaler (0-4, 0-3)
Something has to give.
Fox Chapel, 10-9
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school football roundup: No. 13 Riverside upsets Beth-Center in 1st round
- Mars rides Rinaman’s 6 TDs to win
- Leader Times roundup: West Shamokin football ends season with win, reaches .500
- Plum upsets Penn Hills, 17-6, in 1st-round playoff game
- Highlands quarterback Thimons ‘wills’ his team to victory over New Brighton
- Franklin Regional deals Belle Vernon 11th straight playoff loss
- Apollo-Ridge stands tall in 58-40 victory over Beaver Falls
- Pine-Richland rolls past Connellsville in 1st round
- Mt. Pleasant steamrolls Shady Side Academy, 38-0
- Central Catholic fights its way through decisive win over Norwin
- Rams top Gators, reach quarterfinals