High school roundup: Shady Side Academy remains unbeaten
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Three touchdowns in less than two minutes of the first quarter was enough to carry Shady Side Academy (5-0, 5-0) to a 28-0 victory over Freeport (1-4, 1-4) in Class AA Allegheny Conference play Saturday afternoon.
Jarred Brevard led the Indians with 112 yards rushing and one touchdown. Jackson Fitzgerald returned an interception 25 yards for a Shady Side touchdown as the Indians defense limited the Yellowjackets to 57 net yards.
“Jackson Fitzgerald's been doing that all year,” SSA coach Dave Havern said. “He's just a fine football player, and he plays four different positions. We've been pretty much consistent on defense.”
Summit Academy 38, Ford City 14 — Elijah Hardy ran 21 times for 169 yards and three scores, powering Summit Academy (2-3, 2-2) past Ford City (2-3, 1-3) for the Class AA Allegheny Conference win. Nathaniel Cofer and J'Ron Hill-Phillips each added touchdown runs for the Knights. Cofer also recovered a fumble for a touchdown.
The Knights were productive no matter who was carrying the ball, and an improperly enforced penalty was the only thing that kept Summit from surpassing 300 yards rushing, but Hardy was the difference maker in his second game with more than 150 yards this season.
Chantz Schrecengost scored on a 23-yard run for Ford City. Cody Peppler caught a 57-yard pass from Mike Bartosiewicz for the Sabers' final score.
South Allegheny 28, Burgettstown 6 — Ty Cook threw for 181 yards, including a 50-yard touchdown to Kordell Thompson, and ran for two scores as South Allegheny (1-4, 1-3) defeated Burgettstown (0-5, 0-4) in the Class AA Century Conference. Curtis Moore also scored on an 8-yard run.
Stephen Kotouch scored Burgettstown's touchdown on an 8-yard run.
Fox Chapel 34, Shaler 14 — Billy Urso threw for 191 yards and three touchdowns, two to Greg Yaksich, to lead Fox Chapel (1-4, 1-3) past Shaler (0-5, 0-4) in the Quad North Conference. David Brown caught the third touchdown pass from Urso. Carrington Vaughn recovered a fumble in the end zone for the Foxes. Robbie Reinheimer scored on a 95-yard kickoff return for the Titans.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- State-owned universities spend millions in race to snare students
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs
- Starting 9: Pirates missing out on young bat
- Innovation enhances Philadelphia’s history as Democrats convene, Pope Francis visits
- Pirates minor league report: Ramirez more mindful while at plate
- Woman shot outside Kennywood Park in West Mifflin
- Keystone Markers give insights about towns but have fallen victim to time, theft or traffic accidents
- Pirates trust eye test when voting for all-stars
- Locke pitches 8 scoreless innings as Pirates edge Indians
- Pittsburgh’s tech startup activity rates last of 40 metro areas in report
- Biertempfel: Loss of All-Star paper ballots a blow to nostalgia