Guido: Through the years
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Each Friday throughout the high school football season, the Valley News Dispatch will take a look back at the players, coaches and events that are part of local scholastic history.
It was a highlight-reel kind on night for Deer Lakes senior Mike Harris on Oct. 15, 1993. The speedy Harris scored on runs of 40, 35 and 32 yards as the Lancers moved into a first-place tie with Burrell and Jeannette in the Allegheny Conference with a 33-20 victory over Apollo-Ridge.
Five years ago
• Springdale amassed 391 rushing yards as the Dynamos hammered Brentwood, 47-7, with the help of two touchdown scrambles by quarterback Brian Shemanski.
• Shady Side Academy celebrated the school's 125th anniversary by staying undefeated with a 14-3 victory over Valley behind two rushing touchdowns by Brian Nickel.
10 years ago
• Ford City continued the best start in school history, going 6-1 with a 40-7 victory over North Catholic. Quarterback J.J. Bartolovic passed for 267 yards and three touchdowns.
• Knoch's 5-foot-7, 135-pound workhorse, Dave Bergamasco, collected 214 yards on 30 carries as the Knights took the measure of Valley, 22-13.
20 years ago
• As Valley coach Sam Albert broke a bag of sand in the locker room, he exhorted his Vikings to “hit the beach,” Valley rallied for an 18-14 win over Hampton on Bob Burke's 15-yard run with 3:28 left in the game.
25 years ago
• Freeport's Jody White tallied four touchdowns as the Yellowjackets pounded Riverside, 31-15. White is now a Marine Corps officer who served in Iraq and Afghanistan.
• Leechburg edged Duquesne, 20-19, on a 17-yard pass from Chris Logero to Eric Tola with 28 seconds left in the game.
30 years ago
• A Highlands fumble recovery by Brent Bonnett led to the first of two Rich Strzesieski touchdowns and a 22-16 win over Greensburg Salem.
• Bobby Shoop scored two touchdowns as Riverview blanked Bishop Boyle, 28-0. Shoop is now defensive coordinator at Vanderbilt University.
40 years ago
• Plum's Bob Shanta picked off an East Allegheny pass and ran 37 yards for a touchdown as the Mustangs rolled past the Wildcats, 20-7.
• Rudy Buono and Terry Kelly scored touchdowns, and Burrell dispatched Penn-Trafford, 13-2.
50 years ago
• Ken High's Mike Bitar scored a touchdown on a blocked punt to propel the Red Raiders to a 34-13 victory over Greensburg Salem.
• Apollo fullback Jim Stankus scored two touchdowns to help turn back rival Washington Township, 18-6, in a game between two schools that shared Owens Field.
75 years ago
• Har-Brack routed injury-riddled Kittanning, 38-0, behind two touchdowns each from Eddie Klemczak, Jimmy Hightower and Johnny Moore.
George Guido is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Guido: Kittanning-Ford City rivalry packed with memories
- A-K Valley football notebook: Christy has best of both worlds as coach, father
- Schoolboy pick of week: BV Area
- Statewide HSFB notebook: Scranton RB to miss rest of season with injury
- HS highlight reel: Sarra returns to coach Waynesburg
- Leader Times notebook: Tickets going fast for FC-Kittanning series finale
- Previewing some of Western Pa.’s top Week 9 matchups
- Brashear upsets defending champ USO in City semifinals
- WPIAL, coaches are still looking to schedule Week 9 rivalry games
- Gorman: Rivals North Hills, North Allegheny join to battle cancer
- West Mifflin hoping to spoil TJ’s perfect season