Guido: Through the years
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Friday, Oct. 11, 2013, 1:01 a.m.
Each Friday throughout the high school football season, the Valley News Dispatch will take a look back at the players, coaches and events that are part of local scholastic history.
It was a highlight-reel kind on night for Deer Lakes senior Mike Harris on Oct. 15, 1993. The speedy Harris scored on runs of 40, 35 and 32 yards as the Lancers moved into a first-place tie with Burrell and Jeannette in the Allegheny Conference with a 33-20 victory over Apollo-Ridge.
Five years ago
• Springdale amassed 391 rushing yards as the Dynamos hammered Brentwood, 47-7, with the help of two touchdown scrambles by quarterback Brian Shemanski.
• Shady Side Academy celebrated the school's 125th anniversary by staying undefeated with a 14-3 victory over Valley behind two rushing touchdowns by Brian Nickel.
10 years ago
• Ford City continued the best start in school history, going 6-1 with a 40-7 victory over North Catholic. Quarterback J.J. Bartolovic passed for 267 yards and three touchdowns.
• Knoch's 5-foot-7, 135-pound workhorse, Dave Bergamasco, collected 214 yards on 30 carries as the Knights took the measure of Valley, 22-13.
20 years ago
• As Valley coach Sam Albert broke a bag of sand in the locker room, he exhorted his Vikings to “hit the beach,” Valley rallied for an 18-14 win over Hampton on Bob Burke's 15-yard run with 3:28 left in the game.
25 years ago
• Freeport's Jody White tallied four touchdowns as the Yellowjackets pounded Riverside, 31-15. White is now a Marine Corps officer who served in Iraq and Afghanistan.
• Leechburg edged Duquesne, 20-19, on a 17-yard pass from Chris Logero to Eric Tola with 28 seconds left in the game.
30 years ago
• A Highlands fumble recovery by Brent Bonnett led to the first of two Rich Strzesieski touchdowns and a 22-16 win over Greensburg Salem.
• Bobby Shoop scored two touchdowns as Riverview blanked Bishop Boyle, 28-0. Shoop is now defensive coordinator at Vanderbilt University.
40 years ago
• Plum's Bob Shanta picked off an East Allegheny pass and ran 37 yards for a touchdown as the Mustangs rolled past the Wildcats, 20-7.
• Rudy Buono and Terry Kelly scored touchdowns, and Burrell dispatched Penn-Trafford, 13-2.
50 years ago
• Ken High's Mike Bitar scored a touchdown on a blocked punt to propel the Red Raiders to a 34-13 victory over Greensburg Salem.
• Apollo fullback Jim Stankus scored two touchdowns to help turn back rival Washington Township, 18-6, in a game between two schools that shared Owens Field.
75 years ago
• Har-Brack routed injury-riddled Kittanning, 38-0, behind two touchdowns each from Eddie Klemczak, Jimmy Hightower and Johnny Moore.
George Guido is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Deer Lakes hires former NFL lineman
- Norwin names longtime assistant Brozeski football coach
- Jenkins stepping down at Charleroi
- Ringgold turns to Nick Milchovich